• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68-70 B-body Dash cluster/lower pad/switch panel disassembly

VitaMeVas

Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
I own a 68 Plymouth Satellite and have taken the dash cluster apart a few times. Most recently I decided to put in a Dakota Digital RTX all electric cluster and was beating my head on how to get everything out. Some screws are hidden, some are factory pressed nuts, but everything seems hard to get to. I took a video in case anyone wants ‘one way’ to get to the dash cluster, or how to get the lower dash pad off. Best of luck to all.

Here’s a link to my YouTube channel with a 6 min 18 sec video on how to do this.

In short, you’ll need a 3/8” socket on a small ratchet, short and long Phillips screwdrivers, and some plastic pry bars. Most importantly patience so you’re not trying to find new pieces when you’re done.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the video. If u r changing the cluster, and don’t need to reuse the below screws, I’d be interested in buying them from you…..

1-The original 9-screws that attach the plastic rectangular chrome bezel to the gauge cluster.

2-The original 3-screws under the dash switch panel that attach the lower dash pad to the gauge cluster.

Also looking for the clips that hold the dash defroster vent & heater box outlet hoses in place…need 5, if by-chance u those….
Thanks Jim

Last edited:
Sorry my inbox is full. I bag and tag EVERYTHING I change on my car in case I want to go back to OE. With the exception of the destroyed OE wiring harness, it’s all in storage. Sorry. Best of luck to you.

I really enjoyed your video. I just went through this a few times in the past year. One thing I always do is take pictures of everything with the original harness connected, and then when I've completed everything (and during the process), I take pictures again. I had a heck of time getting the screws back in the panels of my dash and I do not have room to get out my bench seat. So, I taped a cheapo snake camera to a flexible screwdriver extension, and I can quickly figure out where screw holes and everything goes behind the panel/dash without taking out the seats.

Auto Transport Service
Back