• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68/70 Charger interior parts questions

Bad B-rad

Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
I have tried to search here for the answer first, but I have had no luck.

So in the CLASSIC INDUSTRIES catalog, it lists two different options for the 68-70 Charger upper door trim panels.(Padded upper part that has the round Charger nameplate)
one option is $474 front and $394 rear, and it reads Authentic Mopar resto part, with the Mopar authentic resto part logo.(PN:MD705,fronts for 69)
Then there is a set from Legendary auto interiors for $540 front and $484 rear.(PN:MB1982,fronts for 69)
Besides the price what is the difference between the two?
Is one set closer to the original, and there for "more correct" then the other set?
In the past Legendary has had the closest to factory original parts you could get, so I would guess that set is closer to the original set, but the other has that Mopar authentic logo, and most times parts with that logo are very close to correct.

Next is the headliner. (also made by Legendary)
In the original headliner the complete headliner is one section of material, front to back, even down the sail panel by the rear window, with a set of cardboard panels BEHIND the fabric one piece headliner.
In the classic industries book, it looks as if the headliner will not cover that part, and requires you to get a set of sail panel boards,(PN:MB84624 for 68-70 Charger) covered with headliner fabric to install over top of that area, that the headliner falls short of.
My buddy just did a 1969 GTX, and I know the roofs are shaped different, but he had the same thing. His new headliner did not cover the sides of his rear window, and required the fabric covered boards for that area.
So this differs greatly from the original way it was.
Is this just the way it is made now and I have to deal with it, or can I get the original style somewhere?

Thanks in advance for the help.

As far as the upper panels I believe either are ok. The Mopar is just a licensing issue to use certain OEM logos. I had mine from B,E,and A parts Mike Ross. The legendary headliner I just had installed went all the way down to the package tray.

Years ago, Legendary made the stuff and vendors sold it. Buying direct from Legendary was more expensive for some odd reason.
Just Dashes can restore the originals....if they are still in business.

SWEET on the headliner, I think I may call and order mine from Legendary direct, so I can make sure I get the full one , and because we are both in NY.
I will be holding off for a while on the upper door pads, so I figured I would start doing my homework now as to what ones are better, and why.

The reproduction door pads that I have seen have very little detail as for the grain pattern, whether it be the Legendary brand or the PG Classic brand. Possibly they are both using the same supplier.

The insert for the front door pads is a Trim Parts piece and due to the logo embossed into the aluminum piece, it requires license agreements with Chrysler which gives them the ability to advertise as an authentic restoration piece.

Classic carries the Legendary brand, so you can ask them as to who the supplier is?

As for the headliner, Legendary sources a good number of their headliners from ACME. Depending upon the year model and body style can make a difference with the sail panels. You just need to specify what is correct for your particular car. If you should not know, the style without the sail panels will probably give you better results. If your car used the sail panels, you will need to order the panels and the material to cover them. You can purchase either way.

Due to Covid, expect serious delays on getting product. Vinyl and foam has been of limited availability, so dash pads, door pads, seat covers, vinyl tops are taking months to get vs. weeks.

I may have gotten lucky!!!!
I placed my order for a vinyl top last week, from Classic, and it was delivered, Tuesday(8 days later).
I would guess that Antique Green, is one of the lowest selling vinyl top colors, vs Black or White, so that could be why no delay in my case, they had a bunch sitting in stock, LOL!!

As for the headliner, MY 69 Charger had the one piece fabric headliner (No break on sail panel area) but I see classic sells the fabric covered panels for that area (P#MB84624) for the 68-70 Chargers. That is why I figured their headliner would fall short in that area, and require the fabric covered panel.

I have noticed some 68-70 Chargers on you tube, or in photos have the headliner that requires the fabric covered boards.

To Be 100% safe I think I will call Legendary and verify before I place my order, as I would rather have the full headliner, like member, PNORA, has just installed (without the fabric covered boards)

I know in the Classic catalog a lot of the time they offer two types of parts.
One is what they call the "STANDARED REPLACEMENT" and second is what they call "RESTORER'S CHOICE".
Maybe the two different manufactured and priced Charger top door panels, fall under that category, they are just not labeled as such. Maybe one contains the better grain pattern, as 69bfan said.
That is just a guess, on the door panels.

Auto Transport Service
Back