• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 AM radio illumination

417guy

Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
I’m changing the radio in my 68 roadrunner back to the original am. Without boring anyone with why, I’m just wondering what this is in the pictures I’ve attached. I have a small bulb that is inside the top of the radio that illuminates the dial, but I wonder what this is above the volume and tuning knobs. Looks like a plastic that would let light glow thru, but why ? Anybody ? Ideas ?

0E894257-4D7F-4CC6-B64B-367D170114EC.jpeg

C055E7EB-5537-4AE4-98B6-9297F8C90E37.jpeg

It is not for light. Some type of component they most likely wanted to keep out of the heat.

Last edited:
I have an AM 8 Track that came with my ‘70 Charger. R22. Here’s a pic of one. It has 2 of them because the 8 Track is stereo. I think they were about 2.5 watts per channel.
7ED92E0D-8235-4B6F-AFB3-FBA2FB707FF9.jpeg

That is the cost reduced audio output transistor.

When replacing that transistor I use a TO220 package. More reliable and easier to replace.

I used to restore a lot of B Body AM radios, and whether it worked or not, always replaced that transistor. If your 'new' radio doesn't work when you install it I'm pretty sure you'll need to replace it, and the black capacitor on the circuit board.

I used to restore a lot of B Body AM radios, and whether it worked or not, always replaced that transistor. If your 'new' radio doesn't work when you install it I'm pretty sure you'll need to replace it, and the black capacitor on the circuit board.
Thanks for the info Devin!

Auto Transport Service
Back