• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Bee 4spd noise….again but different

WesleyK

Local time
3:09 AM
Reaction score
Ok so last year I rebuilt my a833 with new bearings and seals from Brewers. My main bearings were pitted and did the typical noise 1-3 shifts but silent in 4th. We’ll every since I’ve rebuilt it I’ve been chasing a rattling sound that comes in at about 2700ish rpm and up. Doesn’t make the sound in neutral and just like before only makes the noise 1-3 and none in 4th. Shifts smooth no other issues just the noise. Looking for suggestions before I pull the trans again. I’d like to have at least a strong possibility of what to look for before I do. Fluid is good, throw out bearing is good as well. I may try later to post a video of it. Thanks guys!

Put it up on a lift, have some one run it thru the gears and listen underneath.. No load may change the noise so you may have to induce a little drag.

Put it up on a lift, have some one run it thru the gears and listen underneath.. No load may change the noise so you may have to induce a little drag.
I’ve been thinking about doing that. I’ve been nervous about being under it while running but I may just have to suck it up! Thanks for the suggestion!

The problem with running on a lift is the rear will be hanging down and pinion angles out of range. Plus no load on the drivetrain.

And what will you hear? A noise coming from the trans? Will this help you with anything?

Sounds like a counter gear issue. Worn support shaft bores in the case, worn/pitted counter gear or support shaft bearing surface, too much counter gear thrust end clearance?

Sounds like a counter gear issue. Worn support shaft bores in the case, worn/pitted counter gear or support shaft bearing surface, too much counter gear thrust end clearance?
Yeah it seems likely that’s the area of the noise. It has a new support shaft in it.

Auto Transport Service
Back