• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger 392 or Hellcat engine???

Roger Cox

Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
Can’t decide.

Already have a ton of money in the build, paint and body, QA1/Gerst front rear and rear coil over kit.

TKX trans.

I like the idea of the hellcat engine, but worried about having AC condenser, Heat exchanger, and oil cooler mounted in front of the Radiator and causing heating issues.

Goal for the car is not to race, but for long distance road trips, and fun around town.

Go hellcat Helliphant and dont worry about heat.
Haha I think Redeye would be the most my Moser Muscle Pak 8 3/4 could possibly handle.

You don’t think they’ll be heating isssue with hellcat engine?

I have Griffin Rad with their largest dual electric fans I had for another project.

It’s very hot where I live , summer Gets 100-105 and want to be able to drive for 4 hours and not worry bout anything.

Yeah I’m only going to do this once so might as well put the hellcat engine in I guess.

Where’s the best place to mount heat exchanger?

And anyone with a hellcrate swap in a charger have any heating issues?

Unless you plan to do hard launches from a sticky track that 8.75 will hold up just fine.

I guess my biggest concerns are

- where to mount heat exchanger and oil cooler. Which heat exchanger unit do I need.

- keeping engine temps down with so much restrictions in front of the radiator

Thought I would add some photos - got some epoxy primer on today! Def going hellcat engine..

EBDE681A-F98B-416A-9BD9-BEA5C35C45DF.jpeg

D37C9667-AD19-4CD7-9A1B-D243C5282A3D.jpeg

627E4B2B-73D9-4665-9FF3-D2BB0E4FEE3E.jpeg

D83AE5C3-E2B9-4F58-B423-FEE4B290B4E4.jpeg

621EA5D8-AAA3-40D4-ACEB-E06D64D3BE45.jpeg

should I use Holley Terminator X with holley harness or buy the Mopar ECU? You can tune the Mopar ECU too correct? (Long tube headers)

Electronics cost is a wash either way if you get the OEM stuff. Hotwireautos harness and tune aren't cheap

Holley Terminator Max X would be what I would use (and am using in my 71 Charger 5.7 build). Very tunable and well thought out, will support boost as well.

Nothing like getting paint laid down. Looking good. Did you put frame stiffeners on the car when building it? Going with that much motor in the car have you done anything with the suspension. Just thinking out of the box. Have a good one and keep us up on the build.

Auto Transport Service
Back