• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger 392 or Hellcat engine???

Nothing like getting paint laid down. Looking good. Did you put frame stiffeners on the car when building it? Going with that much motor in the car have you done anything with the suspension. Just thinking out of the box. Have a good one and keep us up on the build.
Yes I did level 3 stiffing kit from USTool, torque boxes and all! It has front and rear Gerst coilover Suspension, so hopefully will ride pretty good!

Sounds like you covered all the bases. Should be a safe car to put the power on. Keep us posted on the progress. Will be watching Blue.

Thank you for your post. I am researching almost the same build. 68 Charger (originally a 318 with a 440/4spd now). I only have the car now but am thinking:
Alterkation
Street Lynx 4 link
TKX
I'm thinking 8-3/4 rear. I hear TTI makes exhaust that works with the Street Lynx and will fit a 9" or 8.75 but not a Dana. Like to keep it Mopar so thinking 8.75 with Moser internals should hold up. Not going to be doing any launching but will drive hard and smoke some tires.

I had the same question regarding the motor. I was originally thinking 6.4/392 but some friends are pushing me to go Hellcat. I only want to build this once and, like you, am into it already this far. Where are you getting your Hellcat? Are you doing a crate or take out? Seems like the advice is stick with the Mopar management system? Roseville has them on clearance right now.

My car already has frame connectors and torque boxes. Wondering if I need to do more. I have seen people strengthen the inner fender (essentially the shock tower) by running a tube from the firewall to inner fender. Think this is needed with an Alterkation?

Your car looks awesome. 68s are the best IMO. I'll start a build thread so I stop hijacking yours. Thanks for the advice.
Matt

The aftermarket EFI systems seem to be lacking in reliability in comparison, how many miles do we drive our factory brand cars regardless of brand without a single hiccup?? I'd go OEM for certain.

392 has gobs of torque and lower cost if price is a factor. HC has bragging rights and an addictive whine. If I went modern, I’d go with 6.4 NA. A lot less plumbing upstairs.

Last edited:
I agree on the "all mopar" stuff. I don't have any experience with the aftermarket since I used all Mopar in my 68 Charger 6.1 build in 2014 with no regrets and no issues to speak of once all the incidentals got ironed out. The only GM part I used was the Corvette fuel regulator which my 6.1 immediately rejected. I was told not to use the 545RFE transmission because it wouldn't stand up to the 6.1 but it has taken everything I have thrown at it. I don't race it much or have sticky tires but it has been down the track a few times running high 12 / Low 13's on street tires. Gives me +20 mpg with the A/C on and hasn't let me down yet so I am very happy with the decision.
Good luck with your build. I'm sure it will be worth the pain, suffering and cost.

Im running a cammed 6.4, hoping for 500rwhp which is plenty on the street. As others mentioned, any more is just bragging rights!

Auto Transport Service
Back