• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger A833 Hurst shifter adjustment

PeteBell68

Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone does anyone have a video or picture thread on adjustment of the a833 with Hurst shifter . 2nd gear pops out not always and I believe things could be adjusted better , trans has been rebuilt not sure if I've done it correctly
Is this possible in the car or needing to be removed .

Thanks Pete

Possible in car? Yes
Which Hurst shifter? Does it have stops? Have the shifter body forks been aligned?
Align the shifter. Will need an alignment pin. When the shifter forks are aligned next with transmission levers in neutral adjust shift rods.
If that doesn't do it there are other problems.

Ideally you want to align it per mopar 3 B post. It's the starting point. Trial and error tune your rod lengths one at a time from there.

I've been reading and think you right . Can I align the shifter still in the car ? I need a 1/4 inch bit or something to align and adj use the rod lengths .

Thanks

Will not do any good to do it out as the shifter will more likely have to come off to put the trans back in.
1/4" rod, drill. Have even used a #2 screw driver.

Can I align the shifter still in the car ? I need a 1/4 inch bit or something to align and adj use the rod lengths....
Yes you can. Chock the wheels with the trans in neutral on a suitable lift. Take a picture of your current tab orientation for reference.
I adjust from the tab side. Use an adjustable wrench to hold the shift tab when loosening or tightening the nut.
With the tabs off the shift forks use the adjustable to verify they are in neutral by clicking through the gears and back to neutral. (N-1-N-2-N, N-3-N-4-N, N-R-N).
Insert pin in shifter to set the gate neutral, adjust each rod so the tab slips over the forks without forcing in the correct orientation, tighten nuts holding the tabs with the adjustable. Remove pin.

That's awesome Thankyou for the explanation .
The hole to slip the rod through is reachable through the top after I remove the console correct ?

From under. No need to remove the console.
upload_2017-10-7_19-20-40.png

Wow - thanks so much that seems quite a bit easier than I was thinking .,my friend has a hoist I'm going to put it up on .
Line them up put a 1/4 inch item in and adjust .

Thanks again

Auto Transport Service
Back