• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 Charger dash pad

Bob Sawyer

Local time
7:26 AM
Reaction score
When I completed the restoration on my Charger, I debated having my original dash pad restored or buying a new one. Well, I purchased one from Classic Industries and installed it. It's been in the car now for about 2 years. I've noticed the vinyl is pulling away from the padding.
I would like to have my original pad restored. It's not bad at all, the vinyl is cracked right in the center.
Has anyone had experience using one of the dash restoration vendors for their dash pad, and if so, who is the best out there?

Hands down just dashes , will take time be patient but not the others on the dash if u are looking for originality they don’t do the stitching. Will cost some $ i had all mine done and head rest, arm rest,glove box, center ac pad real good quality work. But on the glove box and center ac pad came out more round and not square Enough fort me as the originals. Also mine are for a 69 charger took 9 months and still in box (black).

So here are a couple picture I have I didn’t take any more i can. U can see through the vinyl the faint sticking from the original arm rest detail and that actually looks good gives it to some degree there is stitching. Where i F up is that i should have left it its original color (tan) and i changed it. These will probably never get used.
BFCBCED3-8DFD-4775-BDF0-7F98AB4EB8B2.jpeg
6AFB9754-DF16-4E2E-84FB-991DDDB4B4AF.jpeg
C34547F4-1A47-411F-8346-FEE1B0270C34.jpeg
B8FD5087-F2CF-46CD-B2E6-AB546C40F10A.jpeg
D9086C65-D797-4CD6-90E2-2C566A052279.jpeg

There’s a company in Latham NY, near Albany, called Dr. Vinyl. They did my ‘66 Belvedere pad. $75 looks like new going on 5 years.
May be worth a call.

How many speed nuts hold the upper dash pad on and do you have any pics? I’m considering taking mine off and having it restored. Just Dashes currently has my lower dash pieces in line for restoration.

How many speed nuts hold the upper dash pad on and do you have any pics? I’m considering taking mine off and having it restored. Just Dashes currently has my lower dash pieces in line for restoration.
I count 7
EDIT: So sorry. This dash is from a 67 Satellite. I should have read the post better.

F1E4E0AF-0FD1-4800-AF40-96CC1FD65766.jpeg 4EA1BFF3-C1ED-45DA-981E-5C08AB6418F1.jpeg 423648F9-C445-4DEB-BCEA-57755AC4CD37.jpeg F4A34ABC-3EE4-4166-9F8F-2AB3E84878CE.jpeg 7B3EEDA5-B8A2-4A38-BDD0-E31E5D3D710B.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you get a quote for the upper dash pad from Just Dashes?
I'm curious to see what they quoted you.

I haven’t asked them for a quote for the upper pad yet. I wanted to see how the lower pads turned out first before giving them more work. Everything I’ve seen and heard about them is they do good work although it can be pricey.

Just got a quote from them for the upper dash pad restoration: $700 for black. If it needs a color match add on $300.

Every time I mention prices like this to my Chevy friend he just stares at me in disbelief.

Just got a quote from them for the upper dash pad restoration: $700 for black. If it needs a color match add on $300.

Do you know what they do for $700? Is it just recovering what you send to then? Do they completely strip the cover and foam underneath to the metal frame and rebuild a new one?

Do you know what they do for $700? Is it just recovering what you send to then? Do they completely strip the cover and foam underneath to the metal frame and rebuild a new one?
They will strip the cover and put a new one on, grind out and replace foam that is degrading and repair and remove any rust on the frame. They have some pretty cool videos of their processes on their website and Facebook. $700 seems a little steep considering a brand new reproduction dash pad is $269 from Classic Industries.

When I completed the restoration on my Charger, I debated having my original dash pad restored or buying a new one. Well, I purchased one from Classic Industries and installed it. It's been in the car now for about 2 years. I've noticed the vinyl is pulling away from the padding.
I would like to have my original pad restored. It's not bad at all, the vinyl is cracked right in the center.
Has anyone had experience using one of the dash restoration vendors for their dash pad, and if so, who is the best out there?
Bob, do you have pictures of the problems that your Classic Industries dash pad is developing? I just got my dash pad out and it was a lot of work. I had pretty much made my mind up to buy the Classic reproduction pad instead of restoring my old one but two years seems kind of short to start having problems. I don’t want to have to do this again anytime soon. I’ll keep the old one of course and maybe have it restored some day. My dad always told me, “Never throw away a Charger part!”

They will strip the cover and put a new one on, grind out and replace foam that is degrading and repair and remove any rust on the frame. They have some pretty cool videos of their processes on their website and Facebook. $700 seems a little steep considering a brand new reproduction dash pad is $269 from Classic Industries.
Bob, do you have pictures of the problems that your Classic Industries dash pad is developing? I just got my dash pad out and it was a lot of work. I had pretty much made my mind up to buy the Classic reproduction pad instead of restoring my old one but two years seems kind of short to start having problems. I don’t want to have to do this again anytime soon. I’ll keep the old one of course and maybe have it restored some day. My dad always told me, “Never throw away a Charger part!”
I am out of town now, but I when I get back home Sunday I'll get some pics.
The vinyl started pulling away from the pad on the left top side. It appears that the vinyl was cut too short where it was tucked under where the studs are located. Then, I started noticing on the bottom left side, the vinyl is pulling away from the pad. I still have my old pad and it's not the bad. I'm going to explore my options on getting it repaired, but I'm certainly not going to pay Just Dashes $800.00 - $900.00 to restore my pad. That is ridiculous!

Auto Transport Service
Back