• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger front left drum brake sticking

Charger68Rick

Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi, Fixing up a 68 Charger that sat for a long time. Replaced all 4 wheel cylinders, brake pads,hardware, master cylinder and rubber hoses. I bled everything and all seemed fine. The brakes weren't great but they did work. I would say I have about 200 mikes on the new parts. The other day I ended up having to do a panic stop for an ambulance. When I got home I could smell brakes and sure enough the left front was pretty hot. I disassembled everything, including the wheel cylinder and checked everything with no physical damage I could find. I did notice the primary shoe was not fully retracted but could not tell why. I was able to push the shoes together and I installed the drum and bled the system. For some reason the primary shoe keeps hanging up when I test drive it. I am looking for the best way to attack this problem. Try a new wheel cylinder? Master cylinder? Would the proportioning valve have anything to do with it? Like I said this car sat for 20 years so who knows. I just don't want to start changing parts if someone has a better idea. I have the factory manuals and I am sure I have the brake assembly correctly put together. Right side is fine so very baffling to me. Any help would be very appreciated!!

The smaller pad goes to the front, that might cause the problem that or a spring is installed wrong
That’s about all I can think it would be

One pic.

Front left.jpg

Where is the front spring going
I think it goes in that little hole that’s empty

IMG_3230.png

The shoes might not be made correctly allowing the shoe to drop off the back plate contact point. This has been a known problem.

What is the diameter of your drum?

When stopping if one side locks up it often means the other side is not working

Auto Transport Service
Back