• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 Charger grill surround refinishing

went straight to polishing

I did that before I understood what that coating is. I'll never do it again. A lot of wasted time and blowing a lot of sand paper to do it. The lye is for lazy people like me :D believe me, there's plenty of time to be spent getting the mirror finish I achieve so don't need to beat myself up if I don't need to. I've seen posts about using a buffer to take it off but now you have that stuff in your buffing wheel.
Lye works, saves time. Just my opinion.

You may not see any pitting until you get to 400 grit. That's happened to me and had to go back to a more aggressive paper. Be sure to use wet sand paper and PLENTY of water. Let me know if you need a process because it's very important to keep the grit out of your work.

I just went straight to polishing. I would say I removed 90% of the chips. There were some very deep ones that I Didn't want to chase and make the Aluminum very thin. Like I said aluminum is very easy to sand so you make progress fast. If your using a buffer on a bench be VERY careful takes only a blink to get it caught in the wheel.

I did mine with had held 3" air powered polisher . In the end will look great, what ever method you use

You may not see any pitting until you get to 400 grit. That's happened to me and had to go back to a more aggressive paper. Be sure to use wet sand paper and PLENTY of water. Let me know if you need a process because it's very important to keep the grit out of your work.
Yes, I could definitely use a process for restoring the shine after removing the anodized coating with lye. Thanks for all of your help on this project!!

Clean whatever you're working on, then remove the anodizing. Clean it again. Look at it in several lighting conditions and angles so you can see if there are any dents, scratches, pits. Dents have to be hammered out very carefully, I use special hammers. If the scratch isn't too deep I use a fine file to remove it. Any repairs like this will require an aggressive grit but just in those areas. If the rest of it is nice, I wet sand the repaired areas until they are at the same level then decide what grit to use, usually 400 - 600. I use lot of water so am near a sink, keep a sponge on the counter and prop the end of the piece near it. The sand paper is sitting in a container with water and a drop of dish soap. I will sand aggressively at first, cleaning the accumulated grit with the sponge and then wipe it with a towel. It's important to keep it clean between sanding so the grit doesn't build up and so you can see where you're at. It will take some getting used to in order to see when it's time to go to the next finer grit. As the grit gets finer, I will start sanding in one direction being careful not to slip off.

I prefer to do most of this by hand because this stuff is so thin it can be easily bent or damaged and power tools will create heat. I final buff these pieces on a bench buffer and am careful not to overheat. I use Mothers as a final polish and have no problems with tarnish. I do not want the dull shine from an anodized process, I want the finished piece to look like jewelry. But that's just me. I've taken new and original stainless wheel opening trim and polished it to a glittering shine. It looks really good!

Thanks for the excellent refinishing advice, QOTHL!! I copied it to my laptop and will do the process in May or June, when I get to those trim parts!! I'm excited to see the grill, once this has been completed. The parts look great, except for the bad anodizing in places, so Im hopeful that the job will go well!
Thanks again!!!

P.S., can the lye damage the parts if left too long in the solution? I'll plan on 4 hours as you recommended, but just want to know what could happen!

P.S., can the lye damage the parts if left too long in the solution? I'll plan on 4 hours as you recommended, but just want to know what could happen!

I have found that the metallurgy of this material is suspect. If you have problems, it's because of that, not the lye. I've had stuff come out perfect and others have problems, you can't help it. If you get some, what looks like corrosion, you're going to have to sand/file it out judiciously and be careful. Or find a replacement. I have found that where the car was from has an impact on the condition in some cases. If it weren't so difficult to load photos, I'd post some.

Thanks for the excellent advice everyone! Once again you were spot on!!
As recommended, I first removed the Cadmium plating from my '68 grill surround trim, then polished the four pieces. Here are before stripping, after stripping (6 min. in concentrated Lye), and after polishing with tripoli, white rouge, then jewlers rouge. QOTHL, thanks for encouraging me to do this process!!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_427f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4bed.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4bf1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back