• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Paint and or dye colors for Blue interior

generalsnbandits

Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
Ive looked for days and here of folks stating brands of products to use for interior dye's and Paints and is good info to hear. Im hoping someone has already gone through this headache and has all this Blue interior information documented. Maybe this has been discussed somewhere and I just haven't found it yet which if someone has the link would be amazing.

Also can someone state witch items that require dye and which are painted. I know the Dash frame, steering column, would be painted and probably hard vinyl parts and would expect soft items to be dye'ed but don't want a mismatch of colors of blue throughout the interior.

I know I could easily purchase most all interior parts new but trying to build this car on a budget.

Heres my Project: 68 Charger 383, 2 bbl, 4 Spd, Buckets/console, QQ1 with Blue interior (C6B) and Black vinyl top.

Heres my question:
- Does anyone have the actual dye and paint color (specific product numbers or part numbers) for the interior?
- I currently have dark blue seat belts, would this be correct colored belts?
- Does the 68 charger have a 2 tone blue interior (medium blue / Navy) or is all the interior one color Blue?
I have head the color is Bahama Blue, if true not even sure where to get this dye and Paint?
- I have new, aged, and stained White seats I would like to dye the the blue.
- The dash has been painted Black with black pads and I would like to dye or paint blue.
- All my other hard vinyl and soft padding is currently black and would like blue.
- What color would the headliner be?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I looked around for B7 (Jamaican blue) and couldn't find anything either as far as premixed colors for interior parts. I ended up taking one of my old door panels to the local paint shop and having them match the area behind the arm rest as that area has been shaded and seemed the least possible to have changed too terribly much over the years.

I had them mix it up to match using SEM paint/dye. That stuff is really good but you have to do the prep work for any paint to turn out good. It'll work fine on just about anything, hard plastic, vinyl, even metal. If you really want to be right, I believe the dash frame is supposed to be painted with a suede texture but you'll have to talk to the paint shop about that.

I like to prep all my stuff by washing it all really well with a little Dawn dishwashing liquid (to cut the grease, wax, armorall, etc) and I use a red scuff pad by hand to scrub it all with the soapy water. I'll do that a couple times then allow the parts to dry overnight. If you haven't handled the parts much you'll be good to paint the next day but it never hurts to lightly wipe it all down with wax and grease remover solvent.

The metal parts can usually just be scuffed dry with a red scuff pad and then wiped down with the wax and grease remover, ready to paint.

I tend to shoot that SEM with a small HVLP touch up gun. A couple coats or until you reach full coverage and you're done. Let it sit overnight and install.

I've never tried to dye entire seats but you can do it in the same fashion I'm sure, I just don't know how well they will hold up over time due to constant contact.

I can't answer the 2 tone interior question nor the seat belt question. I can offer this cheap advice for your seat belts though... Get a 5 gallon bucket and pour in some simple green or purple power degreaser... not a lot... then fill the bucket 3/4 with water and toss all your seat belts in. Let that sit for a couple days, stir them around every now and then. I call it "making seat belt soup" because the oils, grease, and nastiness of 50 years will turn the water in the bucket a nasty brown. Your seatbelts will look much better though. Let them sit for a day or so out in the sun to dry.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
There are dozens of posts on this you may see below. Being most familiar with Herb's interior paints, they have color charts and code matches to factory colors (check the tag if original for color). Samples can be requested. Others have posted their preferences. I've used Herb's interior paint on soft and hard items, vinyl, leather, and fiberglass, that have worked fine for me. Seat belts might need dying, but paints are reported for fabrics. Could ask the suppliers. Having tested the durability of paints, don't use strong-alcohol cleaners, use mild soap or just water if any dirt needs removing.

I have a 68 GTX and went through the B.S. matching the colors. If you post some pic's using your
flash I may be able to help? Here are some pic's of my parts: The teal is for the dash pad, B pillar covers, console, and arm rest pads. The Bahama Blue is for the dash.
20210830_115448.jpg
20210924_160423.jpg
20210924_160434.jpg
20210829_091559.jpg
20210829_091559.jpg
20210830_115448.jpg
20210924_160423.jpg
20210924_160434.jpg

There are 4 different blues, and the shades of the darker blues didn't match exactly when they were new.
Seat belts will be dark blue, as will carpet, rear pkg tray, and the insert pleats on the seats.
Dash, column, and upper windshield garnish will be a suede finish dk blue.
Kick panels and plastic in general were a slightly lighter dark blue than the carpet & etc.
Headliner should be a dark blue I think, judging by a green interior Charger I had.
For color reference, here's my blue '68 Road Runner; the black carpet is correct for that car (4-speed base interior RR). Some things are different on a Charger than a RR.
Old PPG #s : Cobalt Gloss # 13450 (roof rails), Bahama Low Gloss #13370 (various parts), Bahama Suede (dash,etc), and Cobalt Low Gloss # 13395 (various parts).
It's a bit tricky to get the suede right: basically no gloss and about the texture of 400-grit sandpaper.

DoneInteriorLF.jpg

DoneInteriorRF.jpg

Heres my understanding as of right now based upon the research and response I have read. Let me know if this sounds correct?

BAHAMA BLUE METALLIC - DAC39B6 /Ditzler 13449 / (Member - zyzzyx ) Dupont 9505LH - Dash frame, steering column and components, Header Molding, Windshield Molding, Upper and Lower Instrument Panels and Lower Corners, and Low Line Center Panel.
LIGHT METALLIC BLUE (Herbs parts 1180 / zyzzyx teal 001531 ?)(OER PP332 Light Metallic Blue?) I would not expect all these to be the same color but All other interior pieces except pleats in bucket seats.

Magnes - thanks for the info. I did take Zep Industrial Degreaser and a pressure washer to the seat belts and they look great. I wonder about the seat dyeing myself and may just break down and get covers. Haven't seen anything showing Jamaican Blue for the 1968 year. Is this a 69 color?

Roin H, Thanks I have not seen any color part numbers that reference interior specific colors from Chrysler over to Herb Parts paints and just didn't want to have several mismatched colors in the interior.

zyzzyx - Thanks for the info. Chrysler Teal - Vinyl Pro Custom Color #CC001531 - everything I read says this color should be Bahama Blue, was Bahama Blue incorrect and Im wandering if Plymouth and Dodge had some variations in interior colors used? Did SEM not have a correct Chrysler color in their system? The Plymouth product Interior information/documents you showed in another post would be awesome to have as Dodge versions. LOL

Topside - thanks for the info I will check this out.

Heres a couple pictures of interiors is part of the reason I am baffled. All the Dodge sales info (including fender tag) I read shows interior color as Blue! Some other documents show colors Bahama Blue and Light Metallic Blue used! I am a lot further along in my understanding now tho!

Here are some pictures I got from the internet. Looks like in a couple of these pictures the upper door panels are dark. Maybe its the lighting or maybe an incorrect restoration?

Thanks for all the info.

View attachment 68 Charger QQ1 interior.jpg.pdf

1968-Dodge-Charger-3.jpg

View attachment 4031331600_1271339643_o.jpg.pdf

Attachments

• 1968 Dodge Hemi Charger R:T | S175 | Indy 2020.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
My interior (Crimson red) has about 4 shades of red, lol, at last count due to sun fading/age. Worse being a vert. Seats are about 20 years old from Legendary. Could irritate the purists, but it all mashes together close enough for me, coupled with old eyes.
Good luck on your mission.

Vinyl Pro is in Marrietta Georgia, and they mix SEM colors. My original Horn button and my brand new
20yr. old wrapped in Mopar plastic arm rests are the teal. My interrior code is S6B.

Auto Transport Service
Back