• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet 2 door

I think we all have at one time or another.. We all do things different, myself i would rather have the engine bay, suspension and engine/trans all done and put together, one of the biggest reasons is i don't have enough room, having one thats movable is better for me.
Sometimes we cant do it, im working on one now (at times) that needs so much work i just cant have it with the engine and trans in it, i cant do body and drive train at the same time money wise so, i guess its whats best for you... You'll get it and its a great project that i wouldn't mind having myself, yet another if i could afford all the different cars i like so well. Good luck.
I just figured I could get all the body work and welding done, leave it a roller chassis then get it home to replace the suspension and drop in the drivetrain and motor. After that I can drive it to get an interior done and to the paint shop

Sounds like a good plan, Just takes time and patience and of course the green stuff, but you'll get it and all this will be a thing of the past while your driving around having a ball! Good luck with it, you do have a good start...

yes it does sound like you got a plan of attack , well keep us updated :hello2:

Here is a couple inspiration pictures for you.

mopp_1004_06_o2B1968_dodge_coronet__zpsaeef3b2a.jpg

68_coronet_383_black_1_zpsc5ea6b86.jpg

super-bee_zps15330b11.jpg

1968-1970-dodge-coronet-r-t-1968-2_zpsca9160ea.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful body style!

Sounds like a good plan, Just takes time and patience and of course the green stuff, but you'll get it and all this will be a thing of the past while your driving around having a ball! Good luck with it, you do have a good start...
Thought about building a 318 so I can drive it to the shop for paint and interior, also to gently break in my rear end and 4 or 5 speed, then drop in my new k member and stroker motor, supposedly it's easy to swap in the new one, a nice refresh to engine building before I drop 8k on a 500+ cube monster

- - - Updated - - -

Or , I could scrounge up a 383 block real easy so I could do up my k member and steering rack so that once it's back from the shop all I'd have to do is pull the motor and drop in the new one

Find a cheep running 383 or 440 clean it up and drive it to get the bugs worked out while you build your big motor that way you can enjoy it. If you a big block right away you can use the headers exhaust ect that you want and you are not wasting any money on small block parts you wont use. If you plan ahead you can try to minimize the parts you will replace latter and buy stuff that will work for you now and be what you need when you have the money/time for your big motor. Most of all have fun because that is what this is all about.

Find a cheep running 383 or 440 clean it up and drive it to get the bugs worked out while you build your big motor that way you can enjoy it. If you a big block right away you can use the headers exhaust ect that you want and you are not wasting any money on small block parts you wont use. If you plan ahead you can try to minimize the parts you will replace latter and buy stuff that will work for you now and be what you need when you have the money/time for your big motor. Most of all have fun because that is what this is all about.
Aside from chasing down obsolete parts that tend to grow legs and walk away on me, it always has been fun

Thought about building a 318 so I can drive it to the shop for paint and interior, also to gently break in my rear end and 4 or 5 speed, then drop in my new k member and stroker motor, supposedly it's easy to swap in the new one, a nice refresh to engine building before I drop 8k on a 500+ cube monster

- - - Updated - - -

Or , I could scrounge up a 383 block real easy so I could do up my k member and steering rack so that once it's back from the shop all I'd have to do is pull the motor and drop in the new one

I agree, a 383 or 440 would be great, Either/or would make a great engine for that car! I would put an ad in your local paper, you never know what may be around the corner from you. it cant hurt any if your heading in that direction anyway. Good luck, that last pic i left is one of my favorite color combos! especially with Keystone classics with it :)

I just figured I could get all the body work and welding done, leave it a roller chassis then get it home to replace the suspension and drop in the drivetrain and motor. After that I can drive it to get an interior done and to the paint shop

That's a pretty good plan. You could build the front suspension, brakes, and engine and have it home waiting on the car. When the car arrives all freshly painted you just:

1. Raise the car and drop the front slant six suspension (motor and trans should have been removed for paint)
2. Raise the front of the car up higher
3. Slide the new Motor, trans, and suspension under as a unit or assy
4. Lower car to needed height and raise the motor, trans,suspension package up and bolt it in. (you will need a couple floor jacks and some straps)
5. Lower car and tighten suspension bolts and components, steering column, etc and do home alignment
6. Go get car aligned

No scratches and no way for the motor or trans to fall on your beautiful new car should something go wrong.

I agree, a 383 or 440 would be great, Either/or would make a great engine for that car! I would put an ad in your local paper, you never know what may be around the corner from you. it cant hurt any if your heading in that direction anyway. Good luck, that last pic i left is one of my favorite color combos! especially with Keystone classics with it :)
i like the silver color, im not a huge fan of the 4 post hood design (sorry...), i enjoy the simple spring design its coming with for its ease of use. for the big jobs the hood has to come off anyways.
That's a pretty good plan. You could build the front suspension, brakes, and engine and have it home waiting on the car. When the car arrives all freshly painted you just:

1. Raise the car and drop the front slant six suspension (motor and trans should have been removed for paint)
2. Raise the front of the car up higher
3. Slide the new Motor, trans, and suspension under as a unit or assy
4. Lower car to needed height and raise the motor, trans,suspension package up and bolt it in. (you will need a couple floor jacks and some straps)
5. Lower car and tighten suspension bolts and components, steering column, etc and do home alignment
6. Go get car aligned

No scratches and no way for the motor or trans to fall on your beautiful new car should something go wrong.
im kinda doubting ill have all that put together by the time i get it lol, nor possibly even the funds, id like to see how it all comes apart as a roller chassis so i dont get lost along the way. id get that box of fresh parts and i can see myself scratching my head. i can do plenty of assembly from parts diagrams but if i can do it apart in person the first time i have a better idea ya know.

itll get done one way or another :) only real concern with scratching up the paint is if the engine broke the hoist chain, but aside from that most of it could be little touched up stuff. id really like to go see it again and try to mount a plan of attack as far as assembly goes, i know theres not alot to it but i learn visually. dont mind taking my sweet time on it :)

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, was thinking about the engine, doing a dual quad carb system, but every time i see one a six pack makes me feel all tingly inside..... The motor i wanted to build, im getting a 440 block, bare, i wanted to bore out and stroke to 505 if i buy a scat system, otherwise 440source has a 512 kit, but above that requires more $$$ for external oiling system, although i here some members on here have noted quality issues with 440source?

Anyways, maybe some Eddie ported heads if not from the 440 source, and everywhere i read, a single or a dual quad system wins out for simplicity, and sometimes even power, but dat six pack.... just debating in my head for now. even a regular 440 six pack i wouldnt be bothered by one bit just for its authenticity, but i wanted the engine i built to pack a little more oomph. ive built several recip engines in different applications but the car as a whole is the magnum opus, and i wanted the engine to reflect that mopar muscle. i have yet to delve into the cams and some of the little niggly bits yet, but theres plenty of time for that.

Im happy for you. It seems the muscle car change has passed from your g-dad to you. That is so awesome. My grandfather owned a 68 GTX, which to this day is it South dakota. I really hope you keep your passion on this project car because it will look great when its done. Also....440 Six Packs. awesome choice

SDC14938.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is my slant 6 Deluxe,Love your car have fun !!!!

- - - Updated - - -

When you get to your motor swap I'm looking for a round top radiator for my Slant 6 68 Deluxe 815 557 5778 give me a call !!

- - - Updated - - -

I vote Six Pack, plus better MPG if you keep your foot out of it. That's whats going in mine!IMG_20151121_150124.jpgIMG_20151125_173035.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back