• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet Front Speaker Replacement

68Coronet500!

Local time
6:22 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a 68 Coronet convertible and am trying to figure out how to replace the front dash speaker.

Do I need to pull the entire dash out or is there an easier way to get to it?

If I need to pull the dash out, any suggestions on how to do it?

Pull the radio and you should be able to get at it. There are four nuts that hold the speaker in. The studs those nuts go on are attached to the dash, So that is what allows you to take the nuts off and then replace them. It is not easy, but compared to pulling the whole dash, which means pulling the windshield, it is less work. In situations like that I try to use my small battery powered impact using as many extensions and knuckles as needed to get at the nuts and zip them out.

These type of nuts are used (only with a smaller hole). When putting the nuts back on, I have had good luck taking a small piece of tape and taping the nut to the socket to keep it from falling out of the socket. I am sure someone else on the forum will know what size the nuts are. I am not positive, but because of the length of the studs, I think you have to use a deep well socket. Quarter inch drive is the best to use Because of the smaller size and weight.
B2C7FF71-3F10-43D9-847F-0416AE0B7CBA.jpeg

Last edited:
There are only 2 3/8" nuts holding up the speaker to the dash frame, one on each end. Like stated above, its pretty easy to get out once the radio is pulled.

These type of nuts are used (only with a smaller hole). When putting the nuts back on, I have had good luck taking a small piece of tape and taping the nut to the socket to keep it from falling out of the socket. I am sure someone else on the forum will know what size the nuts are. I am not positive, but because of the length of the studs, I think you have to use a deep well socket. Quarter inch drive is the best to use Because of the smaller size and weight.View attachment 1112402
Agreed, however when I install speed nuts like these I use a small amount of putty in the socket to hold the nut. I have a big bar of electrical putty - $12 on Amazon - but any kind of putty will work.

ideal-tool-accessories-31-601-64_1000.jpg

awesome and thank you for the info. It looks like there are two speakers in there but will pull the radio and get to it.

Here's another question. There is the dash part that has a tag on it, mine is old and could use some attention or paint or, is there some other type of cleaning product that can be used to bring it back to life? it isn't cracked but definitely shows a good amount of age.

I'll need to replace the dash cap as that is very cracked but looks like an easy fix with the exception of the $350 dash cap from classic industries.

awesome and thank you for the info. It looks like there are two speakers in there but will pull the radio and get to it.

Here's another question. There is the dash part that has a tag on it, mine is old and could use some attention or paint or, is there some other type of cleaning product that can be used to bring it back to life? it isn't cracked but definitely shows a good amount of age.

I'll need to replace the dash cap as that is very cracked but looks like an easy fix with the exception of the $350 dash cap from classic industries.
These people repaired my dash pad for $75. Looks like new but was some time ago. Not sure how bad your's is but you may want to give them a call. Also, consider shipping costs today as prices have skyrocketed and they are on the other side of the country. https://www.drvinyl.com/dr-vinyl-of-new-york-state/

IMG_0159.JPG

looks great. did you also paint the metal part that is closer to the windshield?
The dash was restored and painted in MOPAR suede paint which I understand is no longer available and was $125 a quart from Instrument Specialties. There are many posts here about painting the dash and/or powder coating it. Lots of good ideas from some very smart people.

Auto Transport Service
Back