• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Roadrunner.. The project has begun

GoMango68

Local time
4:22 PM
Reaction score
Dad bought the car in the mid 70s. I won't bore everyone with the details.

2006:
Car was painted by a complete hack. Dad was crushed and put it on the back burner. He passed away in 2017.

2021;
Earlier this month, I got it back to my house, got it's first bath and it was probably near as heartbreaking for me as him.

Paint is trash. Sand marks, dimples, bubbling paint, Bondo fails, etc. I don't have all the parts here yet, so I can't search for it, but the fender tag is missing. Build sheet is most likely gone as well, since he wasn't the original owner, the car is gutted, and seats have been redone.

One bright side of the crap paint job, is that I was able to remove the orange, and brown paint (painted prior to dad buying the car originally) to find the original blue. On a side note, anyone think they can identify the color code? Reminded me of the EE-1 with a teal tint to it.

Already started stripping the body down to bare metal. This my first ground up build, and in memory of both my childhood, and my Dad!

IMG_20211017_125223867.jpg IMG_20211017_153634611.jpg IMG_20211023_182221874.jpg

Good luck with your project. I sold my 1968 blue Roadrunner in Houston, Texas in 1977. RM21, blue bench seat interior, 383, 4 speed.

68BLUERR.JPG

Here are the 1968 PPG paint chips, looks like yours might have been QQ-1. Enjoy the project.

1968-dodge-pc.jpg

Thanks everyone! I have pics from about the time I learned to walk, either in the car, or later working on it. Definitely alot of memories!

Also, finally got the rest of the parts home, and found the fender tag!! I haven't deciphered it all yet, bit I definitely know what EE-1 means! Sealed the deal on going back to the original color!

Thanks everyone! I have pics from about the time I learned to walk, either in the car, or later working on it. Definitely alot of memories!

Also, finally got the rest of the parts home, and found the fender tag!! I haven't deciphered it all yet, bit I definitely know what EE-1 means! Sealed the deal on going back to the original color!
Glad you found the tag!

Auto Transport Service
Back