• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 "X" QQ1

On the early Roadrunners and GTX's they originally located the hood latch
an inch or so from where the later 68's and 69's.
300-1468-A_Latch.jpg

All hoods are not created equal!

Where’s the later one? More towards the front or one side or other like the inch you mentioned?

Is it difficult to get to, to open the hood on the earlier one? Or another problem?

Yeah, I wish I didn't have to learn about that one! I needed a hood because I let my "Buddy" cut a hole in mine for
a Tunnel Ram! Bought a hood way back when and let it sit in the garage for twenty years and then when I started
to do the resto, I found out! I can't tell you where the locations are in relation to each other, but it still stings!

One of the many things I like about this group, I learn something new every day!

I agree! I know many things are different between early and later 68s, and between 68s and 69\70 but I’d never heard about this one before.

Eliminate the dents, rust and body filler on your old hood with a new AMD hood made on our own tools. All underside braces and brackets are reproductions of originals so our hoods have the correct appearance on both sides. There are two different postions for the latch and safety catch on 68 models. This hood fits early 68 models. The distance to the center of first hole for the safey catch when measured from the drivers side of the hood is approximately 22 1/4". If a similar measurement shows 22 7/8" then order part number 300-1468.

This fits:
1968 - 1969 Plymouth Belvedere
1968 - 1969 Plymouth GTX
1968 - 1969 Plymouth Road Runner
1968 - 1969 Plymouth Satellite

Oh! I forgot something. The top Header panels are different too! Early & Late. AND the 68 grill
doesn't fit the 69 header panel! Bolting points are different.

So, I see that I'm not the only one with "Gremlins". As long as we know what's
going on, it's not too bad but getting blind sided is no fun.

aeac51bca5528e45522c103640d5c44f.jpg
Yeah, That Red Bull is really something! I have been taking alot of pic's all along
since 2011 and figured I would post a few important ones in order now that I am
actually putting it back together. I wish these things progressed that fast! Some
take a lifetime.

View attachment 1054529 Yeah, That Red Bull is really something! I have been taking alot of pic's all along
since 2011 and figured I would post a few important ones in order now that I am
actually putting it back together. I wish these things progressed that fast! Some
take a lifetime.
TELL ME ABOUT IT! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
or it least it SEEMS LIKE A LIFETIME!:D

Fast or slow, the important thing is that there IS progress! :thumbsup:

Well, this afternoon I went to DMT to buy the sealing doughnut for my heater box
to cowl. While I was there I tripped over their trunk weather strip seal. It states
that they developed it after complaints of replacements being too stiff and having
trouble closing the deck lid. Well, Hell, that's what I've got! I had installed a Sof-Seal
piece I purchased about fifteen years ago, and it really takes alot to close it. I bought
their seal and now I have to remove the old one and put the new one in. WTF!

QQ1 was actually a half-year color that had a cut-off date if you were ordering the car.
They quit using it in July I believe? My car and Mario's were Born in June, and we both
have that P.I.T.A. hood latch location also. The paint is Spies Hecker, and they matched
the color with the inside of the deck lid before it was stripped. Dead Nuts! Had some
friends joke that it was a GM color from the label, but Hey, they had to start somewhere!
I plan on putting 15" Magnum 500's all around with the full chrome, not the trim ring.
Tires will be determined at the last minute. The engine is a 440, 0.030 over with 906
ported heads opened up to Max-Wedge size with an Indy Dual plane intake and Eagle
H-Beam rods. Speed Pro pistons with a 0.080 dome (cut down from 0.140) 727 TF
with a 2800 stall convertor and a Dana 60 with a 3:73. Hooker competition headers
and I almost forgot, I opened the stock oil pickup passage in the block to 11/16 and
put the Milodon Road Race pan on and their 1/2" pickup.View attachment 1052062 View attachment 1052063 View attachment 1052064 View attachment 1052065 View attachment 1052066
—-
About 15 years ago I did a 68 GTX. First time ever apart, 55,000 mile car. Exterior was AA1 silver, interior colour QQ1
2762D20C-2816-41A5-8296-FC92E3702F16.jpeg

54D608C3-BF5E-4AAA-A86A-26DCD853A5A6.jpeg

C076ECB2-4601-44A8-8A5D-69013A0C46C1.jpeg

I had no Idea they did that either! Interior color QQ1? WoW!
—-
The things the factory did in 68. When I came across the paint code I grabbed a picture of it. That GTX was a nice car too, 426, 2 X 4BBL. 4 speed Dana car.

On that fender tag, it has the interior paint code where my MFG. date is. ?????

Auto Transport Service
Back