• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 car pile up on icy bridge in VA today...over 50 injured..

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
69 cars crash on icy Virginia bridge: 51 injured, some critically as I-64 is shut down
John Bacon
USA TODAY

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/new...-cars-involved-interstate-pile-up/2727642001/

Most injuries were minor and none were life-threatening at the Queen's Creek bridge, about 50 miles east of Richmond just outside historic Williamsburg, state police said.

The chain-reaction crashes began at about 7:51 a.m., police said. The state transportation department said all eastbound lanes on I-64 reopened about three hours later. Westbound lanes remained closed until mid-afternoon.

The interstate is a major access road for Virginia Beach, a sprawling beach and military city of more than 440,000 people.

Peter Glagola, spokesman for Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News, said physicians there were treating 24 patients.

"One patient has serious injuries, five are being treated for moderate injuries, and 18 for minor injuries," Glagola said. "More details to come."

Ivan Levy said he and his wife were driving separately to Williamsburg when thick fog forced him to slow his truck and turn on his hazard lights.

“Next thing I know I see cars just start piling up on top of each other,” he said.

Levy was able to stop in time but got a call from his wife saying she had been in the wreck.

upload_2019-12-23_9-4-38.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back