• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger Awakening

xs-ivv

Local time
8:55 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone I thought it would be a good idea to start a build thread here.
1969 Charger R/T
4spd
Dana 60 3.54
Power brakes
Power steering

I am fairly new to mopars. I have owned a 69 dart for three years which has taught me alot but there is still much to learn. I am not a mechanic (I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous) but I am very handy and good with tools (electrician by trade)

My first job was at a classic car upholstery shop so I have some confidence with interiors but this project will definately test my skills. I figured that starting this thread would help me build this car properly. If you guys see anything that doesnt look right please chine in!
I have started on this project with my dad, he has owned the car for 15+ years (maybe closer to 20) anyway many years ago he had the majority of the metal and fab work done then had it painted red with white tail stripe and had trim holes for a vinyl top. It has sat in storage in that state until this past september. My first thoughts were to leave the paint alone and start reassembly myself but after a closer look at the paint we decided on a repaint. Long years in storage had left the charger with many scratches and small dents plus I wanted to fill the trim holes and leave the vinyl top off. (Much to my dad's disagreement!) So we had the car painted black and now the plan is to have black with a red tail stripe and red interior. The car will be a bit of a restomod. The exterior will look mostly factory with the exception of a lowered stance and 17" wheels. The interior will look factory but I would like to upgrade the gauges and sound system. Suspension will be factory engineering with a modern twist. We have a 440 with a "recent" rebuild that will get opened up and gone through.

20171103_180451.jpg 20171124_153409.jpg 20171124_155746.jpg

Nice choice. Welcome.

Welcome to the site. Your car looks just like mine did a few years ago. I ended up going black, black, black, and black to keep the better half happy. She just loves it, me not so much just for the fact it is so hard to keep clean.

Lol. Well it's always best to keep the wife happy first. Others warned me about black being a dust magnet too. The painter wasnt particularly pleased with the decision either! Your car is gorgeous its worth all the extra washing:thumbsup:

This build will be difficult for a few reasons. The car was disassembled many years ago and has a parts car that was disassembled too. None of the parts were documented or even "tagged and bagged" The car has moved to 3 different shops since my dad has owned it. And the parts have moved as well. While picking up the parts from the last shop I noticed that quite a few have evaporated over the years. Also some things that I have are in duplicate because of the parts car.......here are some of the parts bins that are at my house.

20180121_143624.jpg 20180121_143653.jpg 20180121_143802.jpg

More bins...the 3rd pic is the only hardware that i could find. For 2 cars!

20180121_143729.jpg 20180121_143636.jpg 20180121_144658.jpg

Currently the body is at a shop where the majority of the large assembly will be done. They specialize in mopars so they know every nut and bolt. Thank god! My first goal is to restore the front and rear suspension at my house. Install motor and trans into k frame and deliver it to the shop to bolt into the car there. Here is what I'm starting with

20180113_170049.jpg 20180121_144433.jpg 20180121_144451.jpg

I'm with you on leaving the rubber top off.
The hardest thing on that car will be sorting the wiring out.
I mean, the threads where people need electrical help will make one's eyes cross.
New wires, old wires, misdirected wires, burned wires, shorts, low voltage, etc.
I would imagine that will give you no trouble with the wiring.
The rest is a piece of cake compared to that.
It's just a big jigsaw puzzle and there is plenty of help on that here.

Always remember—- clean & tight grounds; everywhere!

Yes thanks onlyone and old man. I havnt given the electrical much thought yet but im leaning towards an aftermarket kit like painless so that we will be able to add accessories. Wiring is one of the jobs that may fall to the build shop. Im trying to figure out what tasks they should do and what I can do myself.

XS- look up moparnation74 for his thread(“love for my father”). Excellent how-to. Good luck, Jeff. (I think ur fingers changed “oldbee” to old man, you’re right on both accounts!)LOL

Oops sorry oldbee! That was a brain fart. Yes I'll check out that thread.

Going to start on the k frame reinforcements first so today I dropped the k frame off at ideal machine shop to have it hot tanked.

20180122_161356.jpg

Great car! We're watching and ready to help!

Thanks 69gtx. I have ordered a hemi style skid plate and im waiting for it from megapartsusa. I have decided to make my own templates and buy washers for the reinforcements.
What thickness of steel should i use? And what size of washers?

I would say 14-10 ga would be good enough. Not sure about the washers. Mega Parts is a great supplier, very reasonable on shipping & prices.

Auto Transport Service
Back