• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger Hazard Light Help, Please

CHAZ666

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 Dodge Charger.

Front & Rear turn signal's work and parking and head lights work front and back. But the flashing hazard lights do not work. I believe I found the turn signal relay under the driver side dash board, but I can't seem to find the hazard light relay. Where would I find that and would that be the cause for the hazards not working ?

Hazards

As I recall my hazard flasher is located near the kick panel on the left side. It is wired into the same harness as the two pink wires from the brake light switch on the pedal, as the hazards override the brake lights when they are on. Your problem could be as simple as a flasher, but could also be high resistance ground due to corroded bulb sockets ' overloading ' the flasher, maybe butchered dash or body wiring. Even a bad turn signal switch, as simple as they are, can cause a bit of havoc with lights and flashers. I am including a link to my 4shared account. I have some wiring diagrams for a 69 Charger there, along with a couple other Mopars. If you have any trouble reading them, drop me a line and I will be more than happy to try and help. I also highly recommend the ' Dodge Wiring ' .pdf. It is a factory piece, very thorough, on reading schematics, trouble shooting wiring problems, etc. I also have the 60's version of the same thing somewhere, I'll upload it if you like. Chuck down the money and buy a copy of the factory manual, it is worth the 50 or so bucks. A fourth of the questions on this forum could be answered by the respective factory manual I bet.
I like PA, I work in the W'port / Scranton area, as well as the Rockies. I'm on the road mostly, but I'll be home for a few more days, if you need a scan from the manual, let me know. Good luck, Mike.
http://www.4shared.com/dir/MANiUld7/Service_manuals.html

69 Charger B Body Hazard Lights

As I recall my hazard flasher is located near the kick panel on the left side. It is wired into the same harness as the two pink wires from the brake light switch on the pedal, as the hazards override the brake lights when they are on. Your problem could be as simple as a flasher, but could also be high resistance ground due to corroded bulb sockets ' overloading ' the flasher, maybe butchered dash or body wiring. Even a bad turn signal switch, as simple as they are, can cause a bit of havoc with lights and flashers. I am including a link to my 4shared account. I have some wiring diagrams for a 69 Charger there, along with a couple other Mopars. If you have any trouble reading them, drop me a line and I will be more than happy to try and help. I also highly recommend the ' Dodge Wiring ' .pdf. It is a factory piece, very thorough, on reading schematics, trouble shooting wiring problems, etc. I also have the 60's version of the same thing somewhere, I'll upload it if you like. Chuck down the money and buy a copy of the factory manual, it is worth the 50 or so bucks. A fourth of the questions on this forum could be answered by the respective factory manual I bet.
I like PA, I work in the W'port / Scranton area, as well as the Rockies. I'm on the road mostly, but I'll be home for a few more days, if you need a scan from the manual, let me know. Good luck, Mike.
http://www.4shared.com/dir/MANiUld7/Service_manuals.html

Thank you so much. I will try replacing the signal relay under the dash. How many relays are there ? I thought there would be 2. One for the turn signals and one for the hazards ? Because I only seen 1 which was around the drivers side under the dash, it was hanging under there near the steering wheel. I do have a bad turn signal switch, that I am replacing soon. So you think it is possibly that, the turn signal switch could be bad, causing the problem or a bad ground. I am going to do the simple thing first, replace my bad turn signal switch and then replace the relay and then see what happens. Thanks again for the wiring diagrams. This will help out alot.

You have two flashers and are right.... One for your turn signals and one for your hazard lights. They tend to get moved from there original spots over the years needless to say. Feel around or stick your head under the dash..Maybe the flasher is gone? Look/feel around for a empty multiple port plug. Otherwise use the handy schematic sent to ya, see how the wires tie in and follow a known path till you reach the plug for your hazard flasher

If you already plan on replacing the turn signal swich, go ahead and see what happens from there. Otherwise, a flasher is going to set you back a whopping dollar or two and are readily avaiable at most auto supply stores.

Auto Transport Service
Back