• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger headlight doors

bob32268

Local time
9:15 PM
Reaction score
How do I remove the headlight doors on my 69 Charger for re-paint and to install new emblems ?
Just the doors only, I don't want to remove entire grill set-up.
Tks
Bob32268

IMG_6121.JPG

That's not easy. You need to get back there and be able to remove the 4 screws that hold a round bar hoop to both sides of the door. Then you might be able to somehow squeeze both sides of the doors towards the headlamps and get the door off the pivot pins. That might work. Remember the doors are old and very brittle.

Here is a picture of mine when I restored the grille and converted to electronic actuators.

100_2027.JPG

100_2028.JPG

100_2029.JPG

100_2030.JPG

That's not easy. You need to get back there and be able to remove the 4 screws that hold a round bar hoop to both sides of the door. Then you might be able to somehow squeeze both sides of the doors towards the headlamps and get the door off the pivot pins. That might work. Remember the doors are old and very brittle.
I can see the 4 screws in your pic (the silver colored bar on the top?) looks real tricky and not a lot of room to get screws on the side closest to the fender. Is there any way to get the emblems off the left grill while it's still on the door attached to the grill ?
Tls,
Bob32268

ow do I remove the headlight doors on my 69 Charger for re-paint and to install new emblems ?

I did mine while they were still in the car as well as the center grill. A lot of masking but I got it done.

I did mine while they were still in the car as well as the center grill. A lot of masking but I got it done.
Yes, that's going to be "Plan B" for the re-paint. What about the emblems on the left headlight door, I would like to replace these with new emblems ?
Tks.
Bob32268

They can be removed. More room with the headlights and cups removed.

Yes, that's going to be "Plan B" for the re-paint. What about the emblems on the left headlight door, I would like to replace these with new emblems ?
Tks.
Bob32268
I didn't remove mine, just repainted the black on the emblems with the headlight door. Mine are in really good shape. It could be done but it's gonna be a b*tch. I would try raising the door enough to get to the back, then either by feel or with help from a mirror, find the speed nuts and get them off.

My 2¢ - I'd try doing it in the car before taking the grill out. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of stuff has to be disassembled to get it out.

Just my opinion, I'm not giving up on my vacuum headlight doors. I think they're cool as sh*t.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, I'm not giving up on my vacuum headlight doors. I think they're cool as sh*t.
Reminds me of the time in 1975 that we drove our '69 Charger (we bought it new and still own it) to Mexico City from Alabama. There were lots of narrow bridges on our route in Mexico. The protocol was, if two cars approached the bridge at the same time, the one that flashed its headlights first got priority. It didn't take me long to learn that because of the time lag in opening the headlight doors, we always got beat to the draw. I just gave up and let the other guy cross first.

Reminds me of the time in 1975 that we drove our '69 Charger (we bought it new and still own it) to Mexico City from Alabama. There were lots of narrow bridges on our route in Mexico. The protocol was, if two cars approached the bridge at the same time, the one that flashed its headlights first got priority. It didn't take me long to learn that because of the time lag in opening the headlight doors, we always got beat to the draw. I just gave up and let the other guy cross first.
Yes, I do agree, there is somewhat of a time delay for the vacuum doors to "wake-up"....
Tks,
Bob

Auto Transport Service
Back