• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 charger quarter widow issues

vabchmopar

Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
I am restoring a 69 Charger and I am having the hardest time getting the rear quarter windows to align. I started out with new glass from AMD/Classic industries new roof seal from soft seal and then replaced the seals with new ones from steele rubber. I also rebuilt all the rollers and replaced all the bump stop rubber. Sadly, the old glass isn’t available to put in so I can’t check the curve of the new glass, which I believe could be off but I am not 100% sure.

Has anyone had issues with quarter window glass from classic industries? See the photos below, my glass aligns with the door pillar seal but is too far inward at the top, it touches the headliner trim.

The bolts/screws that hold the glass to the frame, are those a special bolt/screw and do they have anything to do with the alignment. The reason I ask if I leave those lose, I can force the top in place, but when I tighten them, the glass will not move enough to align correctly.

I do not have the inner door panels on, awaiting them from the upholstery shop. I realize they help keep the glass aligned but this is off enough with the glass tight in the frame that I can’t see it pushing it in either.

IMG_0219.jpeg

IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0221.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

IMG_0223.jpeg

IMG_0224.jpeg

I feel your pain! I spent a lot of time adjusting the quarter windows on my 68 as well. My glass came from Auto City Classic and not from AMD so I can't verify the curve being correct but I do remember them being a real PIA to get adjusted. I installed aftermarket Power regulators that seemed to make matters worse. I'm pulling for you though. It takes time and frustration but you will succeed. Maybe someone can give you more and better tips.

Thank you, I hope you are correct, I have spent way to many hours and I am no closer to a solution

For sure, the bottom adjuster has to be brought in toward the interior to move the window out on top. I think I had to fine tune the door window also to get them to play nice together. Good Luck!

For sure, the bottom adjuster has to be brought in toward the interior to move the window out on top. I think I had to fine tune the door window also to get them to play nice together. Good Luck!
I will try that tonight when I am back home

The reproduction roof rail weatherstrips are not the same profile as original. Get yourself some nice originals.

The reproduction roof rail weatherstrips are not the same profile as original. Get yourself some nice originals.
FM3, are you talking about the steele weather striping or the mounts the weather stripping attaches to?

FM3, are you talking about the steele weather striping or the mounts the weather stripping attaches to?
The rubber weatherstrips. I have yet to find a reproduction that actually works right. They aren't the exact profile as the originals. The quarter windows need to roll up into the groove, while the front windows need to close against it. The repros are different enough, that they don't work well in either situation.

And then there are the repro door weatherstrips! Don't even waste your money on those.

Auto Transport Service
Back