• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Charger R/T Resto Planning

magrima

Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
Any of you who have done B-body or any other performance restorations, I would like to pick your brains if you don't mind. I have a 1969 Charger R/T with an era 383, 727 3-speed auto, and an era 4.10 Borg Warner Sure grip rear end. Pretty much stock everything. Long term, I am shooting for a newer 4.10 detroit locker rear end, Tremec TKO600 5 speed manual, and have my eyes on a 440 stroker crate motor 525HP/600ft.lbs, however part of me wants to build a performance engine from the block up rather than just buying one. My questions are:

1.) What is the best way to go about gathering parts (suspension, steering, etc) that are quality enough to handle what I plan on doing and will also be correct fit? There are a zillion part companies out there with tons and tons of parts.
2.) If I choose to build the engine, what is the proper way to plan so all parts are compatible and together will give desired power/reliability levels? If I went this route, any suggestions on quality engine block manufacturers/sellers?
3.) At around what HP/Torque levels must I upgrade the frame and supports?
4.) Are there diagrams/literature out there that contain lists/pictures of all parts on my car? Like an exploded view of the front suspension with each part?

I fix cars for a living, but planning a build is something I lack experience in and with the price tag I'm facing for a resto, I don't want to be singing the blues because it didn't come out correctly. I'm sure I'll think of more questions soon enough but for now we will start with these. Thanks in advance as well as to those who have responded in the past. Any related thread suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well.

Love the 69 Chargers. Have you looked at the resto mod pro touring section yet. It may provide a lot of info your looking for. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/forums/resto-mods-pro-touring-forum.82/
Like you say there are a lot of parts companies and there are a lot of opinions out there. Here's a couple pics to give you couple different references. Black is a 70. Red is a 69.
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG

Love the 69 Chargers. Have you looked at the resto mod pro touring section yet. It may provide a lot of info your looking for. http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/forums/resto-mods-pro-touring-forum.82/
Like you say there are a lot of parts companies and there are a lot of opinions out there. Here's a couple pics to give you couple different references. Black is a 70. Red is a 69.
View attachment 381915 View attachment 381916

I've gone through a few threads, some are very large though so it takes some time. Both are stunning. I love the red/black stripe combo. Looks very well done. Mine was a vinyl top, guy I bought it off of took it off and garbaged it....was still great condition too. What kind/size rims are on the black charger? I've got 15" cragars right now, but the chrome is beginning to flake and I've seen a few chargers with those rims. Love em.

IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_3047.JPG IMG_4746.JPG

Wow that's a great looking Charger you have. Too bad about the vinyl top, but it looks good without it too. I want to say 18s but not sure. I'll have to ask my brother about the wheel size, he build the car for a customer in the Detroit area. Are a couple of those pics from the Autorama? I think I may have seen the car.

Did you see this one there this past March? Also here is a pic of my buddies Charger from about a month ago, that 70 degree Friday before Thanksgiving.

IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Did you see this one there this past March? Also here is a pic of my buddies Charger from about a month ago, that 70 degree Friday before Thanksgiving.

View attachment 381929 View attachment 381930

View attachment 381931

Yea I had it in the Detroit Autorama the last two years. I remember the black one, stunning under the lights.
Seeing that red one hurts my heart. Hope whoever was driving is okay. I can't do the autorama this year because some neighborhood kids thought it be funny to give my car some pin striping with their keys....

Yeah thankfully everyone was ok. The older guy that hit him was beside himself he felt so bad, he said he wished he had hit the back of the semi that pulled out instead of swerving. The car will be fixed, Hagerty insurance. Bummer about your car too, hopefully you'll get the fixed quickly.
I still need to talk to my brother about the rims. I also want to ask him if his customer will take the Black Charger to the Autorama this year, it would sure fit in.

Not sure how fast my body work will get done, not something I'm good at and will need to have done. Very expensive and I've still got 2 semesters school to pay for so just mechanical stuff for now. My younger brother has a '69 gto that will be in the show this year. If you/your brother are down there y'all should come by and we can chat. Hopefully his customer will bring his car.

This may be one of the few cars that you can't buy finished, and cheaper than fixing one.

I have a 1969 Charger R/T with an era 383, 727 3-speed auto, and an era 4.10 Borg Warner Sure grip rear end.

A Charger R/T would have come with a 440 as standard withe the 426 being optional.

If it's a true R/T, the dash VIN will read like this...

XS29L9*******

The 5th digit (L) designates the engine size for a 440 powered Charger R/T and a J would designate it as a Hemi car.

A Charger R/T would have come with a 440 as standard withe the 426 being optional.

If it's a true R/T, the dash VIN will read like this...

XS29L9*******

The 5th digit (L) designates the engine size for a 440 powered Charger R/T and a J would designate it as a Hemi car.

It doesn't have the original engine. It has a 383 out of a 71 cuda. The guy I bought it from took the 440 out to put in his truck.

It doesn't have the original engine. It has a 383 out of a 71 cuda. The guy I bought it from took the 440 out to put in his truck.

Oh man. Did you ask if you could get the motor back? It sure would be nice to have the original engine to build up.

Oh man. Did you ask if you could get the motor back? It sure would be nice to have the original engine to build up.
I offered to buy it off him but he didn't want to part with it. I even offered to trade him a rebuilt 440 so I could have the original but since he rebuilt the original, he didn't want to sell. It's pretty unfortunate but what can you do.

Make him an offer he can't refuse. Just a transplant away from being a numbers car.

Your questions would take volumes to answer. This site and moparts.com are excellent resources. Lotsa folks been down this road, incl me on my 70RR vert. There are a few B body resto books on the bookstands, some have errors, but they are good general guides. My daughter's 69 R/T sorta straddles the line between survivor & restored. She's the 3rd owner, all nos matching. 2nd owner decided on a paint refresh, but left engine compartment alone. Now she's debating an engine refresh (121K original, documented miles).
wKa_zps50hdddux.jpg

What kind/size rims are on the black charger? I've got 15" cragars right now, but the chrome is beginning to flake and I've seen a few chargers with those rims. Love em.
Finally got to my brothers and he actually has the Charger again. Now wants EFI added to the 572 hemi and maybe mini tub it. The rims are 18's and tires p305/35 & 245/40.

Finally got to my brothers and he actually has the Charger again. Now wants EFI added to the 572 hemi and maybe mini tub it. The rims are 18's and tires p305/35 & 245/40.

Man, the Hemi is already impressive enough. I don't remember what I have on mine at the moment. Gonna bring it out of storage soon to start working on it, I'll have to check

Any of you who have done B-body or any other performance restorations, I would like to pick your brains if you don't mind. I have a 1969 Charger R/T with an era 383, 727 3-speed auto, and an era 4.10 Borg Warner Sure grip rear end. Pretty much stock everything. Long term, I am shooting for a newer 4.10 detroit locker rear end, Tremec TKO600 5 speed manual, and have my eyes on a 440 stroker crate motor 525HP/600ft.lbs, however part of me wants to build a performance engine from the block up rather than just buying one. My questions are:

1.) What is the best way to go about gathering parts (suspension, steering, etc) that are quality enough to handle what I plan on doing and will also be correct fit? There are a zillion part companies out there with tons and tons of parts.
2.) If I choose to build the engine, what is the proper way to plan so all parts are compatible and together will give desired power/reliability levels? If I went this route, any suggestions on quality engine block manufacturers/sellers?
3.) At around what HP/Torque levels must I upgrade the frame and supports?
4.) Are there diagrams/literature out there that contain lists/pictures of all parts on my car? Like an exploded view of the front suspension with each part?

I fix cars for a living, but planning a build is something I lack experience in and with the price tag I'm facing for a resto, I don't want to be singing the blues because it didn't come out correctly. I'm sure I'll think of more questions soon enough but for now we will start with these. Thanks in advance as well as to those who have responded in the past. Any related thread suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well.

Sounds like a fun project, I have a 70 Satellite with a rock solid body was a complete car and I pulled the driveline out for a friends truck, my plans are to do a protouring GTX clone.
My plans are this, and it may help you also...

-1 piece door glass (vintage glass has kits)
-shave all trim for the car, so I will bring down the body lines a bit and use a full fit windshield and back glass, shave the gutters above the doors, etc..
-shave all handles and lock cylinder holes (Chrysler did the gas fill already lol)
-I am doing an automatic which will be a 727 with a gear venders unit (I scored a gently used setup, trans and GV from a wreck bought at an auction, I didn't even know it was in there)...
-digital gauges- intellitronix (I have used their custom kits and they work great)
-air bag suspension (ridetech, a friend of mine carbon copied their kit so I have all the brackets, just need pumps, tank, and bags).
- and for a motor I am going to do a crate 426 hemi with an inexpensive fi system (single 4bbl style maybe fi tech)
-rear end will be either a d60 or built 8.75, brakes will be ww,
-make my own ac system with 508 pump and some custom brackets (unless someone is making them now)
And the interior will be some modern seats I find for the front with the factory back covered to match, I will add heaters to front and back seat, make fiberglass dash and console with the ac built in there somewhere... ETC..

So them are my plans lol, hope it gives you some ideas, Modern wiring (painless knock off), decent stereo system, bowless headliner, 20" wheels in the rear 18" up front, heads up display kit, power doors, keyless entry, billet steering column, etc, I did the math and it looks like I can do the car for around $30K (not including the cost of the parts I have)...
BUT it is a project for another year, maybe 2018 lol... Good luck with yours, a few things to keep in mind are, FI, A/C, Hemi, 4 wheel disc, pwr doors makes these cars bring 6 figures on resale, and if you are like me I get sick of them fast and look for the next one...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back