• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger S/E value??

Cava3r4

Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
Originally. Car is 1969 Dodge Charger S/E, 383-4bbl, A/C, Auto. Matching numbers.

I bought this car in 1990. In Oct 1993 I got serious about restoring it and I had it on the road in Aug 1994. This is originally a Montana car. It had rust pinholes in the trunk floor (replaced), a pinhole in the right front passenger floor pan (replaced), and the rear valance was all dinged up (Replaced) The right quarter panel had 400 holes in it from some moron with a slide hammer (replaced). All body work was done by B**** Auto Body (Dan Mc****). 2 part epoxy paint and the acid/etch type primer.

I went to school two years to be an "automotive technician" in 1974-5. I made a living turning a wrench for one year. Due to being shot up in vietnam, I could Not physically hack it and went on to be a tool designer and manufacturing engineer for the rest of my life.
The Engine (matching numbers) was rebuilt basically stock. It has the hardened stellite seats pressed into the 906 heads. The heads have been cut .030 to insure flatness. It runs fine on 92 octane unleaded premium gasoline. Valve size is stock. Wolverine brand roller rockers with new melling brand shafts. The kit is Mopar Performance (Mancini Racing), forged 10:1 pistons .030 over.

383 magnum cam, rods were reconditioned (forged) at NAPA. Crank is forged and is .010 under size. Moly rings. Double steel roller timing chain. High Volume oil pump. Windage tray. New Holley replacement carburetor (have original warped one). Mopar performance electronic ignition.

Transmission was rebuilt by Chuck L***** (and it works very nicely). It has a shift kit and a 2400 stall converter. (It will bark the tires on 1-2 shift at part throttle if you want it too)

Rear End is 3.90 gears rebuilt center chuck from Mc****** Racing.

Front end (suspension) is rebuilt using the rubber kit (not the urethane). .020 oversize R/T Torsion bars. R/T rear springs.

Seats are L***** Auto Interior Leather (S/E) faced. I have 6 wheels tires for the car (4 are 245r60-15, 2 are 70 series in the back because 3.90gears are “busy on the freeway”. This has the effect as it would be with stock tires and 3.55 gears. (2700 RPM at 60 instead of 3000 RPM at 60 MPH).

The A/C compressor has been replaced with an S***** unit as I could not get a high pressure hose or compressor that worked. The A/C blows cold and has the new 134 freon replacement in it. I Have the orig parts for the A/C.

The car came with 10 inch drum brakes. I replaced the drums in front with A M***** ***** brand disc brake kit. I have the original parts if you want to go back to those worthless 10 inch drums.

I have an Archive box full of receipts.

I have numerous photos, these are NOT digital but show the car in the body shop with the quarter panel being replaced etc. This is a “very near frame off” job. (If I would have removed the "K frame", it would have been a frame off job)

This has all changed now to below. (the orig 383 is sitting on an engine stand in the garage with matching numbers)

Now... BELOW is what is in the motor.
496/440 stroker motor

250 buying a block / used

2500 buying an Eagle stroker kit Street Rings

1700 edelbrock heads

265 & intake

485 new holley 850 double pumper or a copy of one (grant, etc) WITH Electric Choke (want it "streetable") (replaced this with a thunder series Edelbrock in 2013.)

245 Lunati Voodoo .236/.244 and .500/.513 ? Cam & lifters

USE my Roller rocker arms and melling shafts (if there is NO "step")

125 Gasket set

75 ARP head bolts

75 timing chain with rollers & double sprockets

80 oil pump, hi volume standard pressure

45 hardened oil pump shaft

215 oil pan, 7 QT Minimum

82 windage tray

30 pick up tube, 1/2 in

80 block main stud kit

135 push rods

189 distributor, mopar electronic use my old orange box (now has 6 AL box)

149 alum rocker covers

980 TTI ceramic coated headers, 2 inch into ...

600 $ new H 3 inch pipe.... use dyno max mufflers and tailpipes 3 inch.

100 balancer

70 drive (flex?) plate

140 rear main set (seal?)

99 plug wires for headers

199 $ mini starter

300 Misc, shop rags fluids mounts bolts, belts, sealer, coolant, plugs

800 Machine work

1280 Build time

960 Labor R&R

480 Dress out engine Turqoise complete (intake and heads)

320 install headers

750 Tranny overhaul

$ USE synthetic fluid !! Royal Purple

360 converter

$ 2nd trans cooler "daisy chained" into tranny cooler on the bottom of the radiator and mounted behind grill with hard (steel) lines.

70 new 3/8 fuel line from tank to pump

USE big holley pump that is on the 383 (low mileage)

255 fuel line labor, put inline Napa Gold filter before fuel pump

14613 sub total

7500 down on 6/16/10

7113 projected balance (to this point)

******************************************************REVISION-A

5 Hours plus parts....

1000 New Hood, Painted F-5 Medium Green Metallic (to match car) (I do NOT want the old hood back, but the hood pad and clips I do want do not install the pad though as I may buy a new one if I can't clean the old one)

$ ? >>>Install brake pads provided and cut rotors (minimal cut) to create a more favorable friction surface.

BTW... I want the old motor and parts back (cast headers, etc.)

the drive train has about 7-8 K miles on it since rebuild and it runs STRONG.
3.55 gears in the 8-3/4 number 489 case.
It has 255 x 70 r 15 tires on the back so it computes out to the same as 3.23 gears.
It is within ONE MPH of my wifes new vehicle on the road (speedometer).

The motor was spec'd out copying a friend of mine. He has the same motor in his 68 charger, with 3.23 and automatic. He has run 11.57 at 117 MPH. He also has frame rail connectors (I don't yet) and gumbo tires (I don't yet).
Bob

PS. the Question is "what is it worth? I'm old and am having a hard time getting into and out of it with its bucket seats and console.
PSS the air blows cold!
Car is in Scottsdale, AZ

only if you removed the frame rails , would you have a "frame off"

The challenge with pricing cars like this is when you go into lists of all the stuff that's been done to it, those values are largely meaningless. They might mean something to a serious engine, or tranny, or body geek, but to most buyers they just don't care. At a minimum they want to know the engine runs well and strong, and at a maximum they want to know how many HP it has, what the CR is, etc. And listing prices doesn't help much because that's the buying decisions the buyer made, not the seller.

So what it sounds like is this is a 69 Charger with a nice body and strong 440 engine, non-original engine, trans, or type of trans, might be F-5 green with a leather interior, but no idea of what seats are in it or what color the interior is (I'm assuming green). I would think this is a car that's going to sell more on curb appeal than collectability, especially if it's a green/green car, so pictures would be more useful than text.

The challenge with pricing cars like this is when you go into lists of all the stuff that's been done to it, those values are largely meaningless. They might mean something to a serious engine, or tranny, or body geek, but to most buyers they just don't care. At a minimum they want to know the engine runs well and strong, and at a maximum they want to know how many HP it has, what the CR is, etc. And listing prices doesn't help much because that's the buying decisions the buyer made, not the seller.

So what it sounds like is this is a 69 Charger with a nice body and strong 440 engine, non-original engine, trans, or type of trans, might be F-5 green with a leather interior, but no idea of what seats are in it or what color the interior is (I'm assuming green). I would think this is a car that's going to sell more on curb appeal than collectability, especially if it's a green/green car, so pictures would be more useful than text.

I don't know how to post the pictures. I don't want to sign up for anymore software like phto bucket or whatever.
the car is triple green. F-5 medium green metallic, Green Vinyl Roof, Green Leather interior. New headliner. It is a good solid number 3 car to maybe 2.5. The horsepower is 515 torque is much the same. bucket seats with console and the factory automatic shifter on the console.

I don't know how to post the pictures. I don't want to sign up for anymore software like phto bucket or whatever.
the car is triple green. F-5 medium green metallic, Green Vinyl Roof, Green Leather interior. New headliner. It is a good solid number 3 car to maybe 2.5. The horsepower is 515 torque is much the same. bucket seats with console and the factory automatic shifter on the console.

hit "reply"
click "go advanced"
scroll down click "upload photos"
click "browse files"
select pics off your computer
click "upload"
click "submit reply"

In that case, I lower my value to four fiddy.

I know you jest, but you do have a point. Triple green cars are no easy sell. :( You have to find a buyer in the pyramid who wants a car, an old car, a muscle car, a Mopar, a B body, a Dodge Charger, a 1969 Dodge Charger, a non-original/non-matching car, doesn't mind triple green, and has enough to pay your asking price. Absent that you need one that fits the bill down to not minding triple green and having the bucks to pay your price and pay to repaint the exterior and replace all of the interior, which these days is harder than coming across a barn find Superbird. :) Absent that, you gotta come way down on your price, which sucks.

Is this a complete car & spare parts ?? or what... Condition is everything... Restored in 1993 that's 21 years ago now... what is the stuff about, what you want back ?? engine hood etc. ??... any 69 Charger is a desirable car, even a triple green one, might not be the most favorite of color combos, but still has decent value... Detailed Photos & clarifications on what is going with/on already installed, with/on the car & the condition, would help allot... with out photos it's just a wild a$$ guess & still a guess even with detailed photos, but then we could at-least estimate it's "actual value/worth", maybe slightly a little easier... Do you have the build/broadcast sheets, fender tags, vin#... the engine stuff is generally worth about $0.50 cents on the dollar, unfortunately in resale value... I'm not knocking the car at all, just need more/better information & detailed photos @ a minimum, to give any wild guess of W-I-W...

hit "reply"
click "go advanced"
scroll down click "upload photos"
click "browse files"
select pics off your computer
click "upload"
click "submit reply"
great instructions on posting photos, hope it helps

I'd better take it. Some Canadian fellow offered me 30K straight up. It is a very nice car. I'm thinking of putting a bench seat in it and keeping it. Its FUN to drive and I get all kinds of looks.... F-5 Medium Green metallic and all !!

Auto Transport Service
Back