• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 coronet tail panel support question

Beechwood45789

Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
Why does my 69 coronet 500 have these three support pieces and my 69 bee has no evidence of ever having them? Factory mistake? Or early vs late production thing? Anybody have a clue?
Screenshot_20220516-190223_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220516-190259_Gallery.jpg

I've recently stripped down both a '69 Coro 500 (L.A. plant) and a '69 S Bee (Lynch Rd.). Both had all three of the braces. They were shown in the Dodge parts manual.(red & white)

Looks like the Bee has the oval shaped fuel filler opening... And it's hard to see but I think the Coronet has the round filler tube opening... The oval is a later design...

Does the tail panel itself have flattened indentations for the brackets that the tail panels of the cars minus the brackets don't have? Different stamping for the tail panel? Deemed unnecessary by the bean counters? How would fabbing up a new stamping to eliminate three little brackets save money?

My LA 69 Bee has the brackets as well.

There was discussion of the round vs oval filler hole years ago, the generally accepted consensus was Chrysler changed it to oval because in severe side impacts near the tail panel the round filer hole could pull the filler tube from the fuel tank...

There was discussion of the round vs oval filler hole years ago, the generally accepted consensus was Chrysler changed it to oval because in severe side impacts near the tail panel the round filer hole could pull the filler tube from the fuel tank...
Makes sense. So out of everyone who has said their car has the brackets; do you also have the round filler hole cross member? Maybe when they switched designs to the oval they deemed the brackets unnecessary?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back