• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 disk brakes?

RH62

Local time
1:21 AM
Reaction score
did they make disk brakes from the factory in 69?
if not is there an easy conversion to disk in the front from a later car?

Yes and yes. They began putting front disc brakes on Mopars in 1966 although they were quite rare in 66-67.

Yes, they had Kelsey Hayes disc brakes. Pretty expensive these days. For years the upgrade to disc has been 73-76 A body donor sourced. http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

These are getting kinda scarce in junkyards, but they are still out there.
There is the 73 up B body option, it works, I have those on my Valiant. Pay attention to what calipers you use, though. There is at least one model of caliper that has the banjo bolt fitting on a raised section of the caliper that points straight down and might cause interference with the LCA (or something like that).

I have front discs off a 74 Dart on my 70 Road Runner. Any later A body (Dart, Duster, Valiant, etc.) or F-body (Aspen, Volare, rear wheel drive Fifth Avenue, Diplomat, etc.) spindle with rotor and caliper can be bolted right up.

I have front discs off a 74 Dart on my 70 Road Runner. Any later A body (Dart, Duster, Valiant, etc.) or F-body (Aspen, Volare, rear wheel drive Fifth Avenue, Diplomat, etc.) spindle with rotor and caliper can be bolted right up.
I used later A body parts. Probably best upgrade for drivability and safety I've made.

Bendix four piston disc brakes were used on 69 B bodies and AMC's of the era. KH was for the A bodies and BUDD was on C bodies. For a trouble free swap refer to the article above.

Auto Transport Service
Back