• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 GTX 440 2500 Stall Issue Help

Hammer136

Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 69 GTX with rebuilt 440 0.30 over with mopar performance purple shaft cam P5007697. Also added 2500 stall with shift kit in 727 torque Flight trans 3.55 Gear . Can just doesent to have the pull that it should. I know it could be the trans or stall. Any ideas the shift points from engine to trans seem off. Also headers and MSD with sniper dialed in. WT. Could it be linkage in trans. Any general Thoughts or suggestions. Should I have 3200 stall. Asking for a friend. Any good shops near PA/DE/NJ/MD.

Last edited:
I guess I was looking for the tire circumference or height...but 3.55 is not a "highway" gear. So, how do you know it doesn't have the "pull that it should"? Have you raced 1/4 mile? (time?) Does it "seem" like it's running OK, but not as fast as you'd like?

Your camshaft, rear end gear and stall speed sound reasonably well matched to each other

Its running ok. Just doesnt seem to have the punch that it should. I haven't raced it. Engine is strong.

What’s the CR?
Was the cam degreed in?
What carb and intake?
What’s the initial timing set at?
What rpm does the converter flash to?

if it shifts too soon,that really hurts acceleration.could need kickdown linkage adjustment or a governor change to correct shift points.
if its shifting automatically sooner than it should....try shifting it manually and see if acceleration improves. good luck.

Is that the 292 .509 cam ? IMO, 2500 is not enough stall. Really needs 3500 +.

Do a compression test, that cam seems to like at least 11:1 or so, and if the cranking compression isn't above 180psi, not too snappy. As stated above, a bigger convertor will help in any case.

The 440 has one of the highest, if not the highest, rod/stroke ratios of any of the popular V8 engines. What that does is hurt low end power....but gives good top end power [ if the ports etc flow well enough ]. Sig Erson recognised the problem decades ago & put this note in his cam catalog. It is ONLY in the BB Mopar section, no other brand.

img282.jpg

Make sure you have lots of initial ignition advance (like 15-18) and limit overall advance to 36.

Chrys should have spoken to D. Vizard before revising their cams. To improve drivability, you reduce duration, you do NOT increase the LSA....which just turns a dog into a bigger dog.

Auto Transport Service
Back