• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 road runner Steering Wheel Hub removal

ykf7b0

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
On a 69 road runner is it possible to remove the hub under the steering wheel without removing the entire column? I have the snap ring off but it's not budging.

Last edited:
Remove the 2 hex nuts.....To remove/install refer to this thread
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...gtx-restoration.127388/page-48#post-910753960
column.jpg

I have the nuts off too but it looks like the bearing has it locked on.

I was unsure of myself removing it in this fashion and was thinking I should just remove the entire column and press the shaft (if possible) but I will keep working with it. Thank you Sir!!!

It seems that no amount of prizing will move that pressed on bearing upward on the steering shaft on my car. Does anyone have another idea of how to remove it other than removing the entire column and pressing the steering shaft through the bearing?

It seems that no amount of prizing will move that pressed on bearing upward on the steering shaft on my car. Does anyone have another idea of how to remove it other than removing the entire column and pressing the steering shaft through the bearing?
Have you sprayed any penetrant liquid on the bearing?

Can you post a picture of the area in question?

You only need three hands.. two to pry evenly on both sides and a third to hit the shaft with a hammer.

If you hit it hard enough... but while prying up on the collar, a light rap with a hammer would likely help the bearing let go.

Lord knows I would pay premium price for a Miller C-4044 removal tool or a home made version at this point.

Lord knows I would pay premium price for a Miller C-4044 removal tool or a home made version at this point.
I have one......if you cover postage I can send it to you......or I can send you the dimensions and you can make one...

Thank you very much for the offer moparnation74! I had the day off and went to Harbor Freight and bought the cheap mig welder then fabbed one up and it did the job for me.
34ozosn.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 777605
I am at a loss as to how these two nuts and weird head screws serve a purpose. On my hub the nuts were just threaded on to the weird screws that were seated in their recesses and nothing in between. ???

The bolts fit in the slot in the column. Which in turns hold the hub in place. It’s in my thread in the restoration section. Go to page one and click the link to the restoration tool and then select the heading for steering column..

Yes, thank you, I saw that before I commented and I wonder how much I will miss them if I leave them out. I'm not sure but seems to me they might not be such critical bolts on a floor shifted transmission. Just wondering. I think it might be easier to assemble if the column were out of the car but its still in. Anyway, I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
That bearing can seize to shaft. Puller is the safest way to remove the hub.

That bearing can seize to shaft. Puller is the safest way to remove the hub.
The troll is back......again you still have to poke.....

Even though your statement is correct above.....don’t come back crying when you know I cannot stand you but you continue to stir the pot......

The prudent thing would have been simple post your opinion rather than instigating.....this has been discussed before you have been warned before but why, why do you still continue?

There are two people here that routinely troll doing what you just did and one of the two is you? I have stayed away, why can’t you? But I guess your meds aren’t working are they?

??? I do not think putting screw driver under an aluminum housing to pull a steel bearing off a steel shaft that has been on there for decades and can actually corrosively bond is the smartest way too approach it. I am confused, if someone disagrees with you even if you admit they are right, you get mad?? Ok. Not trolling, just trying to help some one not indent or worst crack, their column housing.

??? I do not think putting screw driver under an aluminum housing to pull a steel bearing off a steel shaft that has been on there for decades and can actually corrosively bond is the smartest way too approach it. I am confused, if someone disagrees with you even if you admit they are right, you get mad?? Ok. Not trolling, just trying to help some one not indent or worst crack, their column housing.
Yeah your trolling....don’t deflect as you always do...your intentions were to provoke.....the proof is just what you stated, you never read my post and you drop an X to be the Troll you are....I specifically pointed out in that post to use a plastic window tool and don’t get forceful to damaged the hub...

Show me where where I stated screwdriver?

You didn't say anything nor disagreed with this post below...I guess a hammer cant do as much damage as a screwdriver:
Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 6.12.42 PM.png

Again, which furthers my point of your "true" intentions here and that was to troll me.....

Furthermore, I offered to ship him the remover tool...which you conveniently skipped and the other posts....You went straight for mine...Clearly shows your intentions was to simply to provoke and you do it in a way to cry foul later...kinda childish but I guess that is what you are...

Did you offer up the tool? Did you read my post fully? Did you provide any new information that wasn’t previously mentioned?...guess what? all three NO!..Typical of you...

Again, why did you pick me? When you know I don’t like you? I didn’t realize you existed again until you came back doing the same antics....that is what you do, period! Stop lying please...

BTW, I just edited this post....:D

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back