• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

699/187 Oil Pan

71_Duster

Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
My 440 was swapped into my car by the previous owner. It has a painted steel stock looking oil pan with no numbers stamped into it.

From pictures it looks identical to the 699/187 pans with the notch on one side.

The 440 came from a 73 Newport I am told and has a 72 build date on it.

I am trying to check the accuracy of my dipstick as per Mopar Action tech topic but am unsure of the original capacity of my pan. Any ideas?

The sump to the rail at the lowest is 4 3/4" and 5 1/4" and the deepest.

Sounds like a 4 quart pan. Is the sump about 8 inches from front to back or more like 10-11" ? The shorter one is a 4 quart. The longer one is 5. The long one is sometimes called the "402" pan.

From the drain plug location to the front of the sump is 9" minus the notched area on the passenger side for steering linkage clearance.

My 1973 400 engine came with a 699 pan. I took it off, cleaned it up, and it took 6 quarts of water to bring it to the bottom of the windage tray. Couldn't believe it. So checked again and same result. So I use 6 quarts on each oil change (1 for the filter). That keeps it 1 quart below the tray. When adding oil after draining it, 5 quarts brings it to the full mark on the dip stick. Then I add another for the filter. And after running it awhile, and waiting for the drainback to finish, it reads right at full.

oil pan

I don't think the dipstick cares what pan you are using. Just count how many quarts it takes to get it to read full.

My 440 was swapped into my car by the previous owner. It has a painted steel stock looking oil pan with no numbers stamped into it.

From pictures it looks identical to the 699/187 pans with the notch on one side.

The 440 came from a 73 Newport I am told and has a 72 build date on it.

I am trying to check the accuracy of my dipstick as per Mopar Action tech topic but am unsure of the original capacity of my pan. Any ideas?

The sump to the rail at the lowest is 4 3/4" and 5 1/4" and the deepest.

Most dipsticks are horribly inaccurate and after pan swaps etc who knows how close the marks are.

I could be running the pan a quart overful and causeing huge windage issues or be running on the verge of low oil pressure, but without knowing the actual pan capacity it's impossible to remark the stick to be correct for my current set-up.

Of course as my pan has no stamped ID # this makes life kinda tough.

You should be ok using 5 quarts with new filter, 4 quarts without filter change. This is pretty much standard capacity on all big blocks. The hemi has a bigger pan, and some truck pans are also bigger I believe.

Auto Transport Service
Back