• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger rear taillight panel trim install??

HAHNAGON

Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
How does the 70 charger tail panel trim around the taillights mount to the car? I have a couple panels but no clips or holes for clips.

I made my own clips by using a piece of 1/8 inch thick flat stock steel, 1/2 inch wide by 1 1/2 inches long. I drilled a hole in the center,and tapped it to the size of the machine screws I used and threaded the screws into the steel. I left the head of the screw up enough to get a cutoff wheel in and cut the head of the screw off,then tack welded the screw to the steel and then I ground off any excess weld. I then painted them so they would not rust. I think Charger specialties has reproduction clips,but they aren't cheap! You can measure or template the holes from another 70 Charger.

Last edited:
$150+ for a set.

tail panel clips.jpg

I made my own clips by using a piece of 1/8 inch thick flat stock steel, 1/2 inch wide by 1 1/2 inches long. I drilled a hole in the center,and tapped it to the size of the machine screws I used and threaded the screws into the steel. I left the head of the screw up enough to get a cutoff wheel in and cut the head of the screw off,then tack welded the screw to the steel and then I ground off any excess weld. I then painted them so they would not rust. I think Charger specialties has reproduction clips,but they aren't cheap! You can measure or template the holes from another 70 Charger.
Do you have pictures of your homemade clips?

I don't think I took any pictures of them. They don't have to be spring loaded like the original ones were. I just pushed the tabs down on each side of the stud and they stayed in place just fine. I think the spring loaded thing was so the clips wouldn't fall out on the assembly line where they were doing several cars per hour. doing one car with plenty of time to hand assemble the rear finish panel,this would not be an issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back