• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 Charger trunk. What the heck are these brackets ???

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:53 AM
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to replace the trunk floor in my beater. At the top of the axle hump are these brackets:
AMD 8.jpg

I don't know what they are for.

AMD 9.jpg

AMD 10.jpg

I've never seen a lug wrench slipped through. They are thin so I can't see their value for stiffening the panel.
Who knows what these are for ? Are they there to support the spare ?

I think the jack slides into them. My '73 Charger has brackets like that that hold the jack and the lug wrench.
You slide the jack and lug wrench in those brackets, lift the threaded bar through the tire, put the jack stand base on the tire and tighten down the wing nut and your spare, jack, and lug wrench are secured in a nice little package.
Edit: never mind. They did it differently in '73.

Last edited:
The jack is located on the right side, not those brackets. Those brackets hold the spare tire in position.

The jack is located on the right side, not those brackets. Those brackets hold the spare tire in position.
The rubber sidewall of the spare tire rests on those brackets and the jack assembly is stowed on the drivers side underneath the gas filler neck.
20160613_201200.jpg
20160613_201200.jpg

Actually, it is the left side but I get your point.

Just a picture to agree with other posts about the brackets and spare tire:

IMG_20200523_130014528.jpg

Man, I need to clean off that dust.:eek:

Auto Transport Service
Back