• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 charger wont start help please.

Hello

Thank you.

Same issue with this car, not turning over, then turning over and starting, then not turning over - silence when turning key to start position.

So following recommendations here -

Went through, grounded my Neutral Safety Switch - Nothing.
Checked voltage on yellow wire, by turning key on - No voltage.
Turned key to start position , looking through front windshield at volt meter on manifold - yes voltage.
Cleaned and redid all splices in line and new connectors except factory originals, wire brushed cleaned and installed contact aid (I would do this job anyway, needed to be done) - not Turning over
Got out a set of insulated pliers, jumpered between battery terminal and brown wire on Starter Solenoid (on fire wall) -Turned Over.
Turned key to start position and then using insulated pliers again jumpered between battery terminal and brown wire at Starter Selenoid (on fire wall) - Started car.

Ordered new firewall mounted Starter Solenoid.

You can see the fibre board on the solenoid at the big battery terminal discoloured from heat, probably caused by some coil winding insulation breaking down.

Again Thank You All.

B32E81D0-0578-4E14-BF76-2B117E38B8AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Dave,
if you jumped the red wire from battery to brown wire to starter solenoid and just got a click I would check to make sure the ground to the starter has a very low resistance connection. Also make sure your positive from battery to starter has a good low resistance connection on both ends and also check the resistance of the positive cable end to end. Next check your battery ground cable connections and the resistance on the ground cable end to end it sounds like a bad connection on one of those cables.
Do you get voltage from the ignition switch to the yellow wire at the start relay?
Beekeeper thank you ,it was bad connection dirty cable wires. I cleaned the battery cables,posts and engine block and that did it. I forgot yellow wire only has power in crank position. Funny that it ran all week and then stopped. :BangHead:

....for the layman.....the NSS provides a path from the solenoid coil to the ground metalwork of the body via its switch contacts when the transmission is in Neutral OR Park........and the same applies in a 4-speed car - path is via the clutch pedal switch when the clutch pedal is depressed.
Some, but not all people understand abbreviated words; some abbreviations are universally known, some are not. Uncommon or infrequently used words are best spelled out or at least phonetically, for those of us that are abbreviatedly challenged. Just a thought.....
BOB RENTON

I just want to thanks all of you for your input
1666224047190.png

Some, but not all people understand abbreviated words; some abbreviations are universally known, some are not. Uncommon or infrequently used words are best spelled out or at least phonetically, for those of us that are abbreviatedly challenged. Just a thought.....
BOB RENTON
Fair call. :lol:

Well now that it's working I suggest you consider getting a starter for a 90's Ram or Dakota.
They are a big improvement over the gear reduction starter.
Didn't want to muddy the water earlier.

Well now that it's working I suggest you consider getting a starter for a 90's Ram or Dakota.
They are a big improvement over the gear reduction starter.
Didn't want to muddy the water earlier.
Yep love those mini starters,I put one on the Bee and I would never go back to a stock one.

Auto Transport Service
Back