• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 CORONET 500 GRILLS

70 MOPAR 500

Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the correct color and or paint code is for the grill inner surround accent , you know the small narrow band that runs parallel to the form of the whole grill next to the vertical slats. Is it a red shade or an orange shade. Originals have this colored accent but are not repairable, I have authorized reproduction replacements but they do not have that narrow colored accent. I would REALLY appreciate help with this as I am going for a factory restoration (second day production car) see attached reference photo
979073-79380061e46d7b4ee772d0d1e82d46a7.jpg
70 CORONET 500 GRILLS

There has long been a debate about this topic. I have never seen red accents around the grills, but the factory literature back in the day shows it clearly. If you search the net, it seems that the brochure shows these accents in the pre-release, but when they came to build them they did not put in on. At least thats my understanding of the situation.

Here is a picture of a survivor which I think was a member on here's car.
1689670303873.png

Original sales brochure from the pre release

1689670439585.jpeg

So I would say its up to you whether you install it. The color is red, but I don't know the code.

Hope this helps.

Like you said that the early production cars may have only got that accent my Coronet has a build date of August 2nd 1969 ( second day of new model year ). the fender tag and the build sheet indicate in the Order Number a show car status ( M00167 ).I wonder if the time it took to do the accent made it where it was not able to keep up with the production pace and thus was discontinued or was limited to certain cars.

It reminds me of the 1970 Charger R/T in red that had a matching front bumper. It didn’t make it to production until 1971.

Auto Transport Service
Back