• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 GTX Patch Quarters or Replace?

Kris70gtx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, just wanted to see what you all thought as far as if I should patch the quarters on my GTX or just replace them? Both sides have where someone patched the lower area behind the wheel but did a crappy job and missed a rust hole towards the bumper, they welded it in at an angle so I don't think that patch can be saved, there's also an area on both sides in front of the wheel that needs patched, rear window corners need replaced, dents on the top of both quarters and on the sides. Also, the drivers side has the typical crack at the top front of the quarter near the door that needs cleaned up. I don't see any rear patches available for these, I can get the skins but at that point with shipping and everything its not much more to just order the whole panel, the tail panel will also be replaced along with the trunk floor/extensions. Thanks for the help as always!!

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

I have personally repaired much worse, but it all depends on your individual metal working skills. I try to save existing panels where practical, but sometimes the damage/rust is too extreme to repair. I do see the positive in replacing the quarter, that being the metal is new (rust free) but I also see the negative, that being the panel fit and thickness is often lacking. Tough call!!! IMHO replacing the quarter is much more work and you still have to have some decent metal working/welding skills. Go with your gut and you will never say, "I should have done what I wanted to do". Best of luck with your project sir.

Last I checked AMD had ZERO stock on full quarters.. and removed the lower rear patch panel from their catalog all together. I'd be making what you need from 50 bucks worth of steel first.
superbirdbentdoorpt6 060.jpg
superbirdbentdoorpt6 061.jpg

Get all the paint off of the quarters and look real close on the undersides.

can't see much through the paint. strip the areas and post more photos

Staying with as much original steel as possible is always best practice in my opinion.
Those quarters don't look that bad to me. Patch em. For the pinch weld rust around the back glass, clean it up as good as you can to bare metal then coat it with a nice layer of the POR 15 patch goop.
Patch

No worries about rot returning here in CO :thumbsup:

Thanks guys your input is greatly appreciated as always!! I will get some more pictures of inside the trunk and post them up tomorrow.

Good luck getting the old trim clip screws out. You'll probably have to drill them out. They're stainless an hard as hell.
Take your time and be precise.
Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Staying with as much original steel as possible is always best practice in my opinion.
Those quarters don't look that bad to me. Patch em. For the pinch weld rust around the back glass, clean it up as good as you can to bare metal then coat it with a nice layer of the POR 15 patch goop.
Patch

No worries about rot returning here in CO :thumbsup:
Agree. Best to keep as much good OE metal as possible.

Here’s some pics from the trunk side, not great pics as I don’t have the extensions out yet.

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1261.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_1259.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back