• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Roadrunner smashed windshield, opinions wanted

Kevlisa

Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
It was a beautiful day in NJ yesterday so I took the roadrunner out. Not a mile from home, 2 black walnuts (each about the size of a tennis ball) fell from a reee branch right as I was passing below and smashed my windshield. The windshield and labor will be covered by insurance by my questions are...
Does anyone know a glass guy that can correctly install this windshield, or is it something that can be handled by a typical hobbyist?
My car came with a black vinyl top but it was removed many years ago, long before I owned the car. This is the time to replace the top if I'm ever gonna do it. Does anyone know a good vinyl top guy in NJ? I was also considering tackling this myself...thoughts? The car is FE5 red with a brown interior, I think the black top would look great on it. Just looking for some feedback.
1696366681883.png

Windshileds arent that bad. Remove the trim. Unlock the rubber and remove the old glass. Now comes the fun part. Clean up of the body flange and the seal. If you put it back in with no bedding compound it will leak. 3M 8509 has been on back order for months. There may be other products that are similar Such as CRL7708. Do not use RTV, or Urethane. spread compund in the rubber seal. Lay seal in the body. Set the glass in the lower channel. Work u along the side. Then across the top with fiber sticks. Apply bedding compound in the groove before locking down the rubber into the groove. The mess will clean up with mineral spirits. nd it will get messy.
Doug

Windshield is not a fun job, but doable. The glass guys all want to use urethane these days which is a no no on rubber gaskets.

I would think you are lucky to have the vinyl top gone from the car. Big pain dealing with all the trim removal and installation.

OH Sh!!!!!!!!!!. If it were not for bad luck and you know the rest. Sorry for the luck. My window installer used Urethane and now have been fighting leaks. Can't find butyl anymore. Someone turned me on to a silicone black glazing and beading compound. Think you can find it on E bay. Bought mine out of Miami. From a hardware store.

Now is the time to put the vinyl top back on, and the trim shop will undoubtedly know a good glass guy! :)
man...those are some sizable walnuts...

OH Sh!!!!!!!!!!. If it were not for bad luck and you know the rest. Sorry for the luck. My window installer used Urethane and now have been fighting leaks. Can't find butyl anymore. Someone turned me on to a silicone black glazing and beading compound. Think you can find it on E bay. Bought mine out of Miami. From a hardware store.
How much butyl do you want, don’t know if it can be shipped cross the border.

It was a beautiful day in NJ yesterday so I took the roadrunner out. Not a mile from home, 2 black walnuts (each about the size of a tennis ball) fell from a reee branch right as I was passing below and smashed my windshield. The windshield and labor will be covered by insurance by my questions are...
Does anyone know a glass guy that can correctly install this windshield, or is it something that can be handled by a typical hobbyist?
My car came with a black vinyl top but it was removed many years ago, long before I owned the car. This is the time to replace the top if I'm ever gonna do it. Does anyone know a good vinyl top guy in NJ? I was also considering tackling this myself...thoughts? The car is FE5 red with a brown interior, I think the black top would look great on it. Just looking for some feedback.View attachment 1534362
Glass. I was told that new glass is thinner, and harder to seal. I called AMD about their windshields. According to their glass thickness it measures a little thicker than the new offshore stuff but not quite as thick as OEM.
We have glass shops here that do it correctly, no leaks. I will get the glass shop to do the windshield, they will guarantee no leaks and I have butyl on hand. Did a rear window in ours with help, two small leak areas which I can address.
For you 68 and up owners, there are at least 66-7 Charger cars and bodies sitting outside at the acreage for years, no back window leaks. A few friend with 68 and up have told me that can’t be true. Got a few drinks after showing them the cars.

The correct bedding compound will seal it up tight. I did my Jeep Gladiator pick-up a few years ago. Someone had previously used clear silicone. Cleaned it all off, then sealed and reinstalled it. Hasn't leaked a drop in 3 years. Bedding compound is gooey black and never dries. Stays that way forever. Thats what you need. When I installed the windshield in my 64 and my sons 62 Plymouths both aftermarket. They were if anything slightly thicker than the parts we removed.
Doug

I suggest getting a new windshield gasket, it will be more pliable and easier to work with…

Depending on where you are in Jersey I've used Ed and Sons in Maple Shade. They've been around a long time. While I've never had anything done as old as your's I've seen older cars there for work.

Guys, thanks for all the info. Stupid question...is the original rubber gasket reusable? How do you remove it without cutting it up?

I wouldn't reuse the orig gasket. Probably hardened/cracked from age. Get a new one. Have a pro do this. I watched a pro install AMD windshield in my RR vert, husband/wife team. They were outstanding, said they do a lot of classics. Unfortunately they are in SOCAL. I did everything on my resto except the windshield and top, best left to the pros.

If you're doing it, use a new rubber seal. I don't like the rubber channel style, if you're not careful, you'll crack the windshield. Guess how I know that.

Let me know if you find someone good.
I paid big bucks for a Steel gasket and my guy said it would never leak even without the bedding as long as we used that gasket. Guess what, it leaks like a waterfall! :BangHead:
I knew I should have done it myself.
Im in north jersey near Morristown.

I used Billy Tops for my vinyl top and headliner. He is mobile. His number is 973-978-9044. This was a few years ago so I hope the number is still good.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back