• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 satellite

robzilla

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
this car used to belong to my father, he purchased it new in 70. I had the opportunity to buy it twice but at the time it wasn't possible. Found the gentleman with the car, and had a chance to look at it and take a few pictures. sorry not the best pictures as the batteries in the camera went dead and had to use my phone.

028-1.jpg

029-2.jpg

030-1.jpg

031.jpg
032-2.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

how do you tell which 383 motor is in the car. i think they came in 3 different hp options?

how do you tell which 383 motor is in the car. i think they came in 3 different hp options?

Block should be casting [FONT=&quot]2461830-8[/FONT] for a 383, 1959-71

On the block, near the distributor is a flat machined pad with some numbers stamped in to it.
1st line is the year and engine size. Yours should be F 383. (F was for 1970)
2nd line is the build date and sequence number, although my pad did not have a sequence number. On my pad, it has 10 9, so my engine was built October 9th (1969).
3rd line is secondary information regarding the build. The 335 horsepower engine on my Roadrunner has HP. I don't think this engine (with the 440 heads) was available on a Satellite, but I believe HP was used in many cases.

I don't know what yours would have. Here is a list I found of other pad stampings:
A - .020 oversize cylinder bores
Diamond - oversize tappets
E - Cast Crankshaft
HP - High Performance
L or LC - low compression
M - .001 undersize main bearing journals
Maltese Cross - .001" undersized bearing shells
Maltese Cross and an X - .010" undersized crankshaft
O.S. - .005 oversize valve stems
P - premium fuel
R - regular fuel
RX or MX - all main or rod journals .010" undersized
S - special engine
WT or TW - water test
X - .010" undersize crankshaft

Finally, the VIN of the car will be stamped above the passenger side oil pan rail if it is the engine the car was born with.

Now the way you tell what engine CAME with the car is by the VIN and fender tag. The 5th digit is the engine code. The codes for 383s in 1970 are:
L = 383 2bbl
N = 383 4bbl HP

Your fender tag VIN has N, so that is the HP engine. You fender tag also has E63, which is the 383, 330 horsepower engine. These were painted blue, while the 335 horsepower engines were painted orange.

By the looks of it in your pictures, there is a good chance this still has the original 330 horsepower engine.

Nice car!

the guy who owns the car is the third owner and as far as we know that it is the original motor, never been rebuilt.

sweet... question about the side vents... those are gtx or rr side vents arent they? the SS had chrome trim didnt it?

Nice car!! You should do everything you can to get it back.
when i was speaking with the owner, he said it would be nice to have it get back to the original owners family. he still has the original bill of sale with my dads name. Doesn't sound like he is ready to sell but said i'm first on his list, if/when he does.

sweet... question about the side vents... those are gtx or rr side vents arent they? the SS had chrome trim didnt it?

not sure on the side vents, or chrome trim, were these able to be ordered from the factory?

I thought they were standard on the Sport Satellite? Just like the chrome tirm for the vinyl roof or something

Attachments

• 70ssatellite1.jpg
    70ssatellite1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 244
Auto Transport Service
Back