• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOUND 71 B-Body 2-Speed Wiper Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrah

Local time
5:45 PM
Reaction score
Trying to find a 2-speed wiper motor for my 71 RR. Previous owner installed a motor for non-concealed wipers... trying to find a correct one so I can get them to park correctly. Thanks.

@Darrah I’ve got one from a 72 Satellite if that works for you.

@Darrah I’ve got one from a 72 Satellite if that works for you.

I've been trying to research if the 72+ will work... the year doesn't matter to me as long as it'll work. Seems like the output shaft may be different? Any chance you could verify the shaft is the same as I currently have?

20220430_152551.jpg 20220430_152652.jpg

@Darrah it measures the same. Yours is flat on two sides correct?

I just replaced the 2 speed wiper on my 72 this weekend because it was not parking. I think you should look at what you have for the crank arm and where it attaches to the wiper linkage to determine what wiper motor would work. I'm not sure the 2 speed non conceal motors have the same shaft. Also, make sure your parking cam is in good shape. If something is wrong with that, the wiper will never park off the glass.
I got a "refurbished" motor from O'Reilly's (actually ended up being one of the new motors you see advertised) that worked and parked. You could probably get one of those to see if it works with your linkage and easily return it if not.

Last edited:
Appreciate the info. I'm surprised O'Reilly had a motor for the concealed application; most places list a replacement but only have the non-concealed when you actually get it.

After getting measurements from Car #4, the shaft from his '72 is the same as what I have. My motor works perfectly, it just doesn't do the lower park. It returns to what would be the normal park position and stops there.

I tested it using these instructions, and the switch is functioning the way it should, the motor is unfortunately just incorrect. http://www.passion4mopars.com/Bench...er-Motors-Concealed-and-Nonconcealed_b_5.html

These are the two wiper motors I have that I don't need. The 2-speed came out of a '71 Charger coupe.
20220502_122945.jpg

The motor I got works as intended. It was a reman motor from Cardone and had the part number for the motor I pulled off the car cross listed 3431606. Its definently a newer design so I am not sending my OE one back in hopes that I might be able to get it working right in the future.
If I understand the 2 speed wipers right, the conceal motor needs the conceal switch and linkage cam or it wont park. It will run in reverse during parking, and up to 359 degrees to get to the right position before it opens the motor contacts. The non-conceal wipers park in the same direction as operation and open the park contact every revolution.
Double check that you have the the linkage cam and switch too, or it wont make any difference. (I forgot the cam at first and it doesnt park or function correctly without it.)

The motor I got works as intended. It was a reman motor from Cardone and had the part number for the motor I pulled off the car cross listed 3431606. Its definently a newer design so I am not sending my OE one back in hopes that I might be able to get it working right in the future.
If I understand the 2 speed wipers right, the conceal motor needs the conceal switch and linkage cam or it wont park. It will run in reverse during parking, and up to 359 degrees to get to the right position before it opens the motor contacts. The non-conceal wipers park in the same direction as operation and open the park contact every revolution.
Double check that you have the the linkage cam and switch too, or it wont make any difference. (I forgot the cam at first and it doesnt park or function correctly without it.)

Interesting. Do you have a picture of the cam and switch, or a description of where it's located? I'll have a correct motor on the way soon, but maybe I'm not 100% out of the weeds yet. I definitely have an incorrect motor now, so at least that's one problem that'll be rectified.

The switch is the one in the dash. If you have a stock knob I think you would have the right switch, though that does not mean it is good. The cam is this thing that goes between the crank and linkage. (You only use one of the outer rings depending on the application).
I already have it installed so the pictures I can grab right now are not real useful.

IMG_5768-scaled.jpg
https://vansauto.com/product/2-speed-windshield-wiper-cam-bushing/

The switch is the one in the dash. If you have a stock knob I think you would have the right switch, though that does not mean it is good. The cam is this thing that goes between the crank and linkage. (You only use one of the outer rings depending on the application).
I already have it installed so the pictures I can grab right now are not real useful.

View attachment 1279152 https://vansauto.com/product/2-speed-windshield-wiper-cam-bushing/

The switch is definitely good, as it does exactly what the test procedure linked above does, so I'm good there. The cam, however, not so sure about... I'll have to go look. Might have to order one and figure it our from there. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back