• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 charger 383 - 21 circuit ez wiring

velrob

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the igniton.wiring making use of the 21 circuit ez wiring pack. Spent 5 hrs on it trying to figure out why I'm getting no spark.

Everything is new.
Using a proform electronic ignition pack with the 4 pin ecu

First question.is I'm only getting 12v when trying to start the car, crank mode.

The ez wiring has a pink coil wire thst gives that 12v only when trying to start the car.

There's a purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid that gives a pulsing voltage which I assume I.should feed off as well? Or does the coil need constant power even in the on position? Should I be feeding off thr alternator? There's no other wires that goes into the firewall from the bulkhead.

Thx for the help

Herea the wiring diagram I found online for the pack im using

20210520_223946.jpg

That diagram is using 5 pin ecu. I have a 71 Charger 383 car. I have a repro electronic ignition engine harness from Evans Wiring and mine will only run with a 4 pin ecu. Wont ev3n start with a 5 pin. Maybe a 5 pin ecu is what you need, give it a try. Just a suggestion. Could be that simple

That diagram is using 5 pin ecu. I have a 71 Charger 383 car. I have a repro electronic ignition engine harness from Evans Wiring and mine will only run with a 4 pin ecu. Wont ev3n start with a 5 pin. Maybe a 5 pin ecu is what you need, give it a try. Just a suggestion. Could be that simple
I would assume your 1971 reproduction electronic ignition wiring harness is wired for a SINGLE ballast resistor system

I ordered a new kit to see if it solves my problem. Not procomp but an HEI. My existing kit has a single ballast. Whatever I do i get no spark.

So you have tried a 4 pin or you have that coming also?

My existing is 4pin the procomp.

The new unit is all in the distributor. If i remember correctly its 3 wires.

My existing is 4pin the procomp.

The new unit is all in the distributor. If i remember correctly its 3 wires.
Gotcha, I see what you got now, a buddy of mine just put one of these in his car, he still has the same issues though LOL so he hasn't quite pinpointed it yet

ya im about to rip out this ez wiring harness if the HEI still fails and start over. i got everything else figured out.

For anyone using ez wiring the white alt excitor wiring can be used for the crank position. ez wiring told me to tie together ign 1 and ign 2 but I think thats if you dont use a ballast resistor.

ill let you know if the HEI setup works.

The EZ kit should have a wire marked "coil" that should be hot when the key is in run. If you have a mechanical fuel pump, you could probably use the fuel pump wire to power the ignition if the coil wire isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

I needed a wire in crank position I get them mixed up. I looked at the back of the bulk head and the crank wire feeds the alt excitor wire as well. I'm going to try once more with this procomp kit. But the module might be defective. For the fun of it I tried to check the voltage coming out of the coil and only got 6v to 8v. Lol. I didn't care if the multimeter smoked I was getting frustrated. This is my second accel coil. Unless the multimeter isn't able to read that high of a voltage.

Auto Transport Service
Back