• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 charger question!!! newb!

nighthawkra

Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
I am seeing various answers all over the web...
I have a chance to purchase a 1971 charger with a slightly worked 318.. I believe its an SE because it has bucket seats and center console and hidden lights. The carpet is out, and so is the headliner, but the guy will sell it with a new carpet in the box. The interior otherwise is dirty but not seemingly flawed. The vinyl roof is gone and ready for paint it seemed. And the body is straight although upon knocking found a few spots of bondo. The bumpers look faded but not pitted, just needs new chrome. has hidden lights but needs a new wiring harness, and he jumped the motor for them and they do work. Trans has a leak and he says he is not sure if thats why its been slipping but im guessing the worst. It ran really smooth and the VIN is WH23G1G......
He is asking 3400 im not sure if that's a great steal or just what they worth. Any help is greatly appreciated.
IMAG0196_zps02a86143.jpg

IMAG0195_zpsf73b45d6.jpg

a44b16d4-61d9-49f2-8ebf-8806ac3b4853_zps45d0313b.jpg

Last edited:
Why is he selling it, and what condition would you hope to get it in before finding it acceptable to drive? Are all the headliner bows present and marked for the correct sequence? Working air conditioning? Not many pictures to go by, but aside from some potentially scary wiring and steering wheel, it could clean up.

Thing is, what are your skills? How much of the needed work can you do? Have you checked for rusted frame rails or rot around the rear window? When you say things like "just needs new chrome", you're looking at $400 or more for each end, if they're not dented. If you can handle the work, I've seen a lot worse starts right here on this forum...

The VIN of an SE would be gin with "WP", not "WH".

It may be a "500", though.

- - - Updated - - -

Check the cowl.

Remove the screens and feel around the vent.

Look in this forum, there's a guy selling a mid 70's Charger WP with a 440 for approx. $4k... it's a car that looks to deserve a correct resto in its original green color... somebody I know was interested, except for the color

It's in OH. Quite the drive, but a nice car.

1973 SE factory 440 sunroof p/w a/c car with solid quarters.

That red one looks pretty nice, from what I can see.

Looks like a base Charger with the concealed headlamp, bucket seats, and console options. Upper door panels on an SE are unique. A 500 should have R/T taillights and a rallye dash. The Coupe has fixed rear side windows.

Tail lights- good point.

OP is looking at a 71. 71 SE did not have "formal" window fillers like 72.

I concur that it's not an SE and probably not a 500, but it does look fairly solid and has some cool options with a decent color combo.

Welcome to the site and great to see another central FL Mopar guy. That car looks to be in good shape for what it is, and the price is a good one for what looks to be there. Since he's asking $3,400, I'm guessing he's looking to actually sell at $3,000, so I would say you're concerned about the bumpers and the tranny, which will cost you about $1,400 to replace, and offer him $2,800 and settle on $3,000.

Replacing the headliner is pretty easy because of the plastic sail panels.
If the car is solid, no major rust, and good glass it may be worth the money.
Not sure what the wiring issues would be like?
I think the WH23 is a SE model.
My '71 Charger 500 is a WP23 vin.
If you have mechanical skills, rebuilding the transmission is fairly easy.

This is from "mymopar.com"

WH23 Charger 2Dr Hardtop 71 - 74
WL23 Charger 2Dr Coupe 71 - 74
WM21 Super Bee 2Dr Coupe 68 - 70
WM23 Super Bee 2Dr Hardtop 68 - 71
WP23 Charger 500 71
WP29 Charger S.E. 71 - 74
WS23 Coronet R/T 2Dr Hardtop 68 - 70
WS23 Charger R/T 71
WS27 Coronet R/T Convertible 68 - 70

what hood is on the car? (sorry can't tell from the pics)

It's not an SE, I have one, an SE VIN would start with "WP29". Hidden headlights fit any of the Charger line, so they were added by a previous owner. For the record bucket seats/console don't mean a thing, my SE has a bench with a fold down armrest. Do you have any pics of the front of the car?

As far as the price it's a little high, but I'm cheap, $2800 or a little less due to the transmission issues.

Five main places to check for rust-

Cowl, cowl, cowl (remove the vent screens under the rear of the hood, put your hand in the pass side, and feel the bottom of the ring on the vent. ), front frame horns, and quarters

Auto Transport Service
Back