• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger sail panel question

70chall440

Local time
8:00 AM
Reaction score
So it seems that the 71 Chargers had either cardboard sail panels or plastic ones, can anyone (@Nacho-RT74 ..) provide some clarity of what came with what?

Thanks in advance.

Plastic on my August built SE and the January built one I parted out. Maybe the cardboard was a coupe thing? I pretty much have only seen the plastic ones.

So it seems that the 71 Chargers had either cardboard sail panels or plastic ones, can anyone (@Nacho-RT74 ..) provide some clarity of what came with what?

Thanks in advance.
My LA built SE (March 1971) had plastic.

A friend purchased a used '71 in 1974. This was a base model with 318 AC, bench seat, standard dash. Pretty sure the 1/4 windows rolled up and down, so not a coupe. This car had plastic sail panels.

All 71/72 Chargers got Plastic.

71/72 Plymouths were cardboard with a metallic trim were the cardboard was attached on the quarter glass side to make the finish and attach the weatherstrip.

73/74 Chargers AND Plymouths were Plastic except SEs, cardboard.

AS FAR I KNOW... 71/72 Plymouths and 73/74 Hardtops/coupes Chargers could interchange its sail panels ( quarter glass opening seems to be exactly the same shape ). Looking forward to that since Plastic 73/74 are not being reproed and they tend to crack easily on the build because they don't age really good getting dried ( 71/72 Charger panels get aged way better). Hoping mines will survive the reassembly when time comes, but if not...

Last edited:
I guess the confusion exist by the wrong listing made by repro parts sellers/manufacturers about compatibility/shared parts

Those are listed incorrectly. They are 72 Se only, 71 SE is the same as R/Ts and Super Bee along with other 71 hardtops.

Yes , those are definitely 1971 versions

The other listing for SE should be 1972 CHARGER SE ONLY

I did some editing

as mentioned, lot of ignorance from sellers.... aaaaand manufacturers.
I still remember the IAS Shocks made by Edelbrock maybe 15 years ago, being sold the same to E and B bodies up to 74, and dozen of ppl getting them returned when they tried to fit fronts on 73/74 B Bodyes

Auto Transport Service
Back