• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger w/5.7 AC system (question)

70chall440

Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
Anyone out there running a 5.7 with AC? My 71 is an AC car and I am putting AC back into it. I have looked at a variety of aftermarket AC system but to be honest am not super excited about any of them. I am just looking to see what others have done.

I am in the process of putting a Vintage air system in a 72 Charger with 6.4 Hemi working on the lines now. I think it turned out well but a lot custom work. Bouchilon performance has a lot Gen 3 air stuff.

What are you really concerned about ? What aftermarket systems in particular did you not like and why ? A lot of money/time was put into these "systems" to make sure they perform well. There are differences in the old, oem R12 system and the current (for now) R-134. They operate at different capacities, efficiency, hoses, seals, compressor oils etc... Sanden compressors are most common and are inexpensive, small, and efficient. Most modern kits use these .

In stalled the classic air in mine and had to drill holes in the fire wall for my A/C lines. It work's well. Did not have to cut my glove box liner down is what sold me. Had to grind some metal off the bracket that held the compressor so my fan belt would not strike it. Other than that it was pretty straight forward. They are help full when you call and ask question's.

I have looked at most of the large/prominent players in this area and I believe that i will be using an Original Air system bc it integrates with the stock system. What I was referring to initially was the Vintage Air system, I watched a few videos and while I am sure it works I don't really like it. The classic air system is decent but I don't need the compressor, but I suppose I could talk to then about deleting that.

Classic Air. Under the hood, factory and under the dash Street Rodder. FYI Classic has very close replacements for center dash vents for 69.

Are you taking under hood or under dash? Does the car not have it's oem heater box anymore? My charger is all aftermarket and it works great, my fury is oem under dash and modern underhood and works pretty well. Neither is 5.7 though the fury will be some day.

I am talking about all of it to be honest, or at least I was initially. So to set this straight, I have the OEM box and I have the OEM control panel. I was asking about systems generally and looking for information. I realize that an aftermarket box/system is probably going to function better than the OEM stuff of the day especially the electronic controls verses the cables, vacuum lines, etc. That said I would prefer that the control panel looked correct or at least decent. I am not looking for a restored look per se but I also don't want something that is completely out of place.

So, I know that an Original Air system will allow me to use the factory "inside" components whereas Classic, Vintage, et al. has new boxes and controllers.

Basically I was just asking what others are using and for any information about various systems.

I like the factory controls too, mine all have that. Do they not make the styles anymore where they override the OEM controls to run the ac?

I like the factory controls too, mine all have that. Do they not make the styles anymore where they override the OEM controls to run the ac?

That I don't know. I haven't yet explored how the factory system worked in this car, but I did see w group of vacuum lines with a connector.

As with all my posts on this car, I am going through the research phase trying to explore options. I really do appreciate everyone's responses and information.

Assuming all of your OEM indash components are good, the Original Air underhood upgrade is a good option. The OEM condenser will work well with the compressor upgrade, or a modern cross-flow condenser if need be.

I need everything under the hood except the compressor, but the Original Air kit covers that.

Does there kit work on a 5.7 Gen 3.

The kit I am talking about is somewhat generic in the sense that it is the condenser, the dryer, some lines and valves. This kit doesn't care what engine/compressor it is attached to. Perhaps the only issue might be the line to the compressor, I don't know if there are different size connections from various compressors or not. I already have a compressor so I don't need that.

How's this goin?? Any progress on choosing the air system? Life's tough! It's tougher when you own a mopar

When I was bringing my 68 T/C wagon back to road worthiness I opted for all new under hood A/C components, Sanden compressor and cross flow condenser, etc and left all my OEM HVAC system alone inside the car....works great!

No reason you can't use the 5.7 A/C compressor and then use generic/universal dryer, condenser, compressor cycling kit, and line kit to mate to your OEM stuff under the dash.

I haven't gotten any closer to choosing components for the AC bc I am not working on the car yet, I am building 2 other cars for other people at the moment.

That said, i have given it some thought and while I would not mind the stock stuff, I don't think I want to run the factory switch/control bc it uses vacuum to operate and I am pretty sure the stuff I have is not all that good.

I used the compressor that came on the 2006 6.1 when I installed it in my 68 Charger. I restored my original 68 factory A/C heater box and had the evaporator pressure tested at that time. I bought a new condenser, new receiver/drier and new expansion valve and had the underhood plumbing built by a local AC shop. They charged it with R134 back in 2016 and it has worked flawlessly since then. I replaced the binary switch on the drier with a Trinary switch for the extra contact to turn on the fans when the A/C is on.

In stalled the classic air in mine and had to drill holes in the fire wall for my A/C lines. It work's well. Did not have to cut my glove box liner down is what sold me. Had to grind some metal off the bracket that held the compressor so my fan belt would not strike it. Other than that it was pretty straight forward. They are help full when you call and ask question's.
But what did you put in?

Auto Transport Service
Back