• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 road runner Non A/C Car Heater Core Removal and Replacement "How To"?

road robert

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
Hello Mopar Tribe:

Last year I flushed the cooling system in preparation for Carlisle road trip (420 miles each way) then the heater core started leaking. I bypassed it at the firewall and decided now that I would like to repair or replace it. I drive the car a lot and need to have a good defroster in case I'm caught in rain, etc. I took out the glovebox and removed the front plastic housing and can see the core but it is screwed in from behind, are there any good tutorials out there and once it's out should I repair or replace it?

There is also a gap between the plastic heater box and the defroster vents, car was rotisserie restored but after 3 years of owning finding many "hacks" everywhere I perform repair and maintenance...

Thank you!

road robert

I can answer a few questions if the heater core stayed the same style as for 1973. Replace it. They are not that expensive. It took me two times ordering it from Advance before they got the correct one. IIRC it was less than $40

1687319530496.png

The hardest part was getting the hanger/clip from the cowl air inlet to release. Just mark all the cables that go to the heater box and take some pics that you can refer back to. It really is not that hard to pull one apart but keep track of which bolt goes where as there are some that are different lengths. These pics might help a little. DMT should have your seal kit that covers 71-74 so your box should look like this.

1687320013898.png
1687320047868.png
1687320081342.png

If I remember correctly, there is about a 1" gap between the outlet of the heater box to the defrost vents tube. I don't have a photo from my Charger but here's twofrom my 71 Challenger showing the gap.
Terry W

Heater Box To Duct Alignment.jpg

Heater Box To Duct Alignment 2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back