• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71 rr Steering Column Shaft In/Out Position Manual Steering

road robert

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
Please Help!

I dropped the steering column to remove the instrument cluster at which time found that only the 2 nuts on the studs were securing the column (3rd lower bolt missing) and that they were not centered in the rectangular breakaway plastic washers, were away from the steering wheel end (and breakaways broken). I also had to remove the 3 bolts down at the firewall to get it to drop, which I thought was strange. I bought new breakaway washers and can pull the column closer to the driver to better center the mounting studs in the 3 breakaway washers (still not quite centered but closer) but then the column shaft is farther out of the piece (what is it called?) between the shaft and the gearbox. My questions are:

1. Does it matter if the shaft is pushed all the way into the piece between the shaft and gearbox or pulled out (it stops ~ 1" out) so the 3 column fasteners under the dash are better centered in the breakaways? (see pics I wrapped blue tape around the shaft to see the 2 positions (in/out) for reference)

2. Why are the studs do far away from the column mount slots (see pics shaft in/out, breakaway washers NOT present)

3. Is this the right steering column for this car or is it "collapsed"?

P.S. This car was completely taken apart some time ago for a rotisserie resto so I am finding a lot of little stuff that is wrong…

Thanks!
Pic #1 Blue tape flush with piece (coupler - what is it called?!?) shaft pushed in
road runner steering shaft in.jpg

Pic #2 Blue tape flush with piece (coupler - what is it called?!?) shaft pulled out
road runner steering shaft out.jpg

Pic #3 column stud to column bracket offset shaft pushed in (so far away)!
Steering column pushed in.jpg
Pic #4 column stud to column bracket offset shaft pulled in (closer but nowhere near centered).
Steering column pulled out.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back