• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Air Grabber hood without Air Grabber Air Cleaner Fitment Question

Randall Miller

Local time
6:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi Gents.
I did a search and came up empty. I saw a few photos but I really need some assurance.

My car is completely disassembled at paint and I have the original NON Grabber hood and I picked up an OEM Grabber hood this Summer. I should have checked this before it went to paint but poor planning on my part led me here.

My question is will the grabber hood allow a taller air cleaner/intake if I don't use the factory type air grabber air cleaner? If so, a normal 14" or does it have to be dinky? I realize I will miss the isolated fresh air.

I didn't expect the car to see much rain but does the Grabber hood without the factory type air cleaner leak water all over the engine?

I had a shaker on a Pontiac years ago and I think I remember a drain tube on it.

My engine is a 440 w an RPM intake. I saw where people have modified bases to work. I may not want to go thru the trouble right now.

Thanks for any input.
Rudy

If it helps, what the '72 base looks like...............
upload_2021-1-12_17-42-17.png

And the drain tubes under.........

upload_2021-1-12_17-46-41.png

Thanks ish So I guess that is maybe part of the answer that yes it will leak water on the engine?

Mine did as I recall from way back in '77-'78, but it wasn't anything major.

Thanks.... Here is a picture I found on this forum but the discussion wasn't about my questions.

Can I go higher w my intake and close the hood? Will it leak? It looks like a 14" type air cleaner fits?

1970-Plymouth-road-runner-1d-engine-and-air-grabber-hood-parts.jpg

Get into the kitchen drawers, steal the aluminum foil, make tall cones from it to set on your air cleaner base plate, close the hood, open the hood, determine how much clearance these now crushed cones tell you that you have.
Tell anyone asking about what happen to the aluminum foil you were wondering the same thing!:D

Thx. The car is 100% disassembled at paint. It is just the shell. I only want to have one hood painted.

Just need a little help from someone about my questions.

Will an air grabber hood work without an air grabber air cleaner?

Can the intake go higher?

Will it leak terribly?

Does a common 14" air cleaner fit up in there?

Thanks in advance

I’m pretty sure a 440 with that intake will not clear if it’s taller than stock.

A 440 with a stock intake with the original 440 cleaner would, but 440 with 400 cleaner would rub the cleaner, or at least it does on my 70 RR even with the hood adjusted up in the back.

The 440 sits taller than a 383/400. That’s why it’s called a RB it’s a raised block.

The system was designed for the stock setup to seal, so not much wiggle room.

IMHO I’d run a stock height intake and correct cleaner in order to have the air grabber setup over whatever power gains the RPM provides.

Thank you for taking the time to offer insight. I sort of figured what I was asking had been explored in repetition but it doesn't seem so. That is ok and will give me an opportunity to figure something out. I think I'll go with the hard route of the grabber hood and deal with the challenges.

If anyone knows anything further I'd sure appreciate it. I work alone and now with nice paint coming, moving hoods back and forth won't be anything I will want to do any more than I have to.

Rudy

I look forward to hearing how it all works out for you. Post some pics of the new paint.

I’m sure it’s nice.

A shaker hood is way different than an air grabber... Will you be leaving the car sit out in the rain and worried about the door leaking? Or Are you going to be driving in the rain with the air grabber door open? I don't see a big concern with using a different air cleaner...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply....The water question was a wonder. Nope, it won't see a lot of water. My main question was if I could run the RPM intake w a normal air cleaner and have it close. I like the look of the grabber hood.

Thanks for the reply....The water question was a wonder. Nope, it won't see a lot of water. My main question was if I could run the RPM intake w a normal air cleaner and have it close. I like the look of the grabber hood.
Ok. You may need to get a drop down base or "recessed" base for the air cleaner as it's a number s game as to when you break the air box shutting the hood...

Auto Transport Service
Back