• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Charger - 727 'late' 2-3 upshift and 2-3 shift overlap

SuperFlyTNT

Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
Dear 727 aficionados,

I recently got my hands on a 72 Charger SE, original 400-2bbl. A previous owner replaced the factory induction with an Edelbrock Torker intake and Performer 4bbl carb.

The car has always had a 'late' upshift from 2nd to 3rd at part throttle, in the sense that you would have to get up to about 40-45mph with a cold engine before it would shift into 3rd. Even then, it would only shift I would lift my foot slightly off the throttle. It is a bit better (read: shift rpm is lower) when engine is warm at part throttle to WOT. The shift itself is not really noticeable. The car has the slap stik shifter, but I have not driven it yet with the slap stik to see how the shift feels from 2 to 3 when shifted manually.

Also with warm engine at part throttle and gradually speeding up I can feel the transmission acting similar to a shift overlap from 2nd to 3rd gear (as described by a Forum member in a different thread "like stepping on the brakes before shifting"). At least that tells me it is shifting to 3rd, but the overlap between the clutches has to be resolved for sure.

Now, would the shifting overlap and late upshift be related to one cause (as it happens both in 2-3 only)? For the late upshift my common sense tells me that there is insufficient hydraulic pressure buildup to have the transmission shift at a more common, lower engine speed. That could be caused by the throttle lever on the transmission to be in the 'incorrect' position at the time the engine rpm would normally cause the transmission to shift. Instead the pin on the carb needs to move the kickdown linkage and throttle lever further back.

If my assumption is correct, would adjusting the kickdown linkage also solve the shift overlap in this case?

Thanks in advance for any advice

If you have a stock kickdown setup, adjust it to factory specs. Check proper fluid level and condition hot. Verify that the kickdown rod and carb reach full travel simultaneously with no binding. (See past posts re: factory adjustment video) Verify kickdown band is adjusted properly. If it still has a delayed upshift, you may need to dig deeper such as checking for any governor, servo, or clutch malfunctions. Any idea when it received routine service last?

Last edited:
I don't know the maintenance history, but I am planning a fluid and filter change anyway. I will also check the kickdown linkage to see if it is there is any room for adjustment and if the 2bbl to 4bbl conversion didn't screw anything up that could contribute to the issue(s)

For some reason I didn't notice it before, but the kickdown linkage is the 3-piece system with the bell cranks. I will adjust the intermediate rod first and then the throttle rod as per FSM and the above video. Now to find something to subtitute as a 3/16" rod, because, you know, the metric system (3/16" = 4.76mm) I could probably find a 4.5mm drill bit, though...

For some reason I didn't notice it before, but the kickdown linkage is the 3-piece system with the bell cranks. I will adjust the intermediate rod first and then the throttle rod as per FSM and the above video. Now to find something to subtitute as a 3/16" rod, because, you know, the metric system (3/16" = 4.76mm) I could probably find a 4.5mm drill bit, though...
As long as it holds the bellcrank in place with as minimal play as possible you should be able to get it adjusted properly.

Does the Performer carb have the Mopar throttle lever extension?

Just an update; I readjusted the 3-piece kickdown linkage to FSM specs, adjusted the slotted rod at the throttle pin on the carb and now it shifts way better into 3rd gear, at a lower speed. 2-3 upshift is also a lot less harsh than before and the 2-3 flare seems to have disappeared.

The car also seems to pick up a bit stronger and faster from a stand still.

Will be changing the oil and filter next. That seems to be less of a messy task than usual, since someone fitted a pan with drain plug.

Auto Transport Service
Back