• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Roadrunner Air Grabber hood installation ??

Jellinator

Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1972 Roadrunner with a 440 4bbl. I need to cut the hood to install an air grabber in or on it? Has any one attempted or completed this? Or maybe has a template or measurements that could be helpful? Any info would be greatly appreciated, measure twice cut once!!

My '72 RR has the factory air grabber hood on it but it in no way resembles the other RR hood with the call outs on it. Please post a photo of the hood you are intending to cut and maybe then we will be able to assist you.

Bill

IMG_1309.jpgHavi

- - - Updated - - -

It took some time to get the pics in my computer!!

Here are some photos of my hood. Sorry for the poor quality but I've been mostly blind since Thanksgiving last year and a few outer health issues has prevented them from operating on me. Suppose to happen on Wednesday I hope.

72roadrunnerGTX has put the drilling points (i can't read them) and maybe these photos will help. Notice the hole itself is not nearly as large as the fiberglass insert is. Also notice the larger holes on the inner structure that allow access to the nuts that hold it on. If you may need clearer pictures I can get my son to come over and take a few.

Bill100_7895-1.jpg100_7906-1.jpg100_7897-1.jpg100_7898-1.jpg100_7899-1.jpg100_7900-1.jpg100_7901-1.jpg100_7902-1.jpg100_7903-1.jpg100_7904-1.jpg100_7905-1.jpg100_7896-1.jpg100_7907-1.jpg

My air box is broken but when I can get back to working again I will order a new one.

Thank you for the excellent information!!! The drawing and photos are very helpful!! If any one has a couple of complete and restored photos from the under side and top would be greatly appreciated! I will be on vacation soon but when I return I will post pics of my air grabber repair, and installation.

Check out the pics of the 72 rr/gtx on ebay. Not sure if it will help any but its a very clean car. Good luck

All great information that I have been looking for. thanks for posting.

a trick is to put a dab of grease on the bottom side of the air grabber stud mounts and see where they land on the hood

I used the diagram above as posted by 72RoadrunnerGTX to complete my air grabber hood project. The diagram was given to me by Mike over at BE&A, who has had a ton of expeirence with these setups. i followed the instructions, measured twice - cut once type of deal and everything came out ok

FYI the inner and outer skin cutouts do not match. Here's one I did a few years ago.
IMAGE002.jpgIMAGE003.jpgIMAGE004.jpgIMAGE005.jpgIMAGE001.jpg

Actually I Have an Original factory air grabber hood. It's just the steel hood, nothing else. It's in great condition, no filler, no cancer only mild surface rust. It has a small tear about 1/4 inch long on the bottom edge. It came off a 71 roadrunner I parted out about 25 years ago. The bulge, door and all the rest got sold. It's been in my shop ever since. I was planing on putting it up for sale shortly anyway.

Hello Everyone,

Quite an informative thread. I'm thinking about putting the Air Grabber on a 1971 GTX. I have the stock 1971 Satellite steel hood and can find most of the parts available. Who makes the best quality reproduction hood scoop ( was considering AAR Quality Fiberglass in Florida but I hear they are out of business ) and other related parts? Two things I can't seem to track down are the scoop to hood mounting screws and the flanged nuts that hold the scoop down.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

Quite an informative thread. I'm thinking about putting the Air Grabber on a 1971 GTX. I have the stock 1971 Satellite steel hood and can find most of the parts available. Who makes the best quality reproduction hood scoop ( was considering AAR Quality Fiberglass in Florida but I hear they are out of business ) and other related parts? Two things I can't seem to track down are the scoop to hood mounting screws and the flanged nuts that hold the scoop down.

Thanks in advance
The best set-up was PG Classics but even it needed massaging to get it to fit right. I believe all that you can get now is everything BUT the hood bubble.. I am glad that I have the air grabber for my '71 and original air grabber for my '72 and another for a spare. Good luck as these hoods went crazy in the past 2-3 years. I would say if you can complete your set-up with EVERYTHING under for $3500 you did well.

Thanks for the reply. I just took a look on PG Classics and they don't even list a kit any longer. I did find a site Mopar Plus that list what I consider a partial kit, but that kit doesn't have those odd screws ( looks to be course thread for the fiberglass and machine screw threads on the other end for the flange nuts or the flange nuts. This site Hood Scoop Stud 70-72 A B Body N96 | Roseville Moparts list these screws, but not sure if these are the right ones or not.

Thanks for the reply. I just took a look on PG Classics and they don't even list a kit any longer. I did find a site Mopar Plus that list what I consider a partial kit, but that kit doesn't have those odd screws ( looks to be course thread for the fiberglass and machine screw threads on the other end for the flange nuts or the flange nuts. This site Hood Scoop Stud 70-72 A B Body N96 | Roseville Moparts list these screws, but not sure if these are the right ones or not.
I think they list them with-out the studs because those hood bubbles were meant to be bonded on so I think there are pads there but they are untapped... Mopar Plus is just selling PG's parts. Studs are cheaper here..

Wilson Productions Inc. - Specializing in Air Grabber Parts & Restoration

Does anyone have any of the flange mounting nuts to attach the bubble? I had a 1971 GTX with an air grabber years ago, but don't recall any of the dimensions. I'm thinking I might be able to make them on a small press but would need a few photos of them and measurements.

Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back