• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727, 2nd to 3rd shift

mopower440

Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
I have a 440/727 combo. Just cruising, when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, it feels like the rear tire locks up for a split second..when going wide open, it doesnt feel like that, just shifts firm and instant but i swear, when just driving easy, the rear tires lcok up really quick, ive even heard it squeal when it does it. It does it really quick, but this shouldnt be right?

Try changing the KD band adjustment. Set it looser and then tighter, testing in between. The shift timing is altered by doing this.
Mike

You can loosen the 2nd gear band a 1/2 turn or so. It is located on the drivers side of the trans near the front cooler line. It has a 3/4” lock nut that keeps a 5/16” square adjuster tight. You hold the center adjuster while breaking loose the outer nut. Be careful if the center adjuster moves you have lost your starting point. If this happens tighten the center adjuster snug while holding the outer nut finger loose. Now loosen the center adjuster 2 full turns. Hold it and snug the lock nut. If this doesn’t meet your expectations you can go to 2 1/2 turns total. Still not good? It will be an internal rework which may be beyond your knowledge level. Bottom line don’t worry about it. It’s not going to hurt anything. Most race trans have some 2/3 overlap at light throttle.
Doug

You can loosen the 2nd gear band a 1/2 turn or so. It is located on the drivers side of the trans near the front cooler line. It has a 3/4” lock nut that keeps a 5/16” square adjuster tight. You hold the center adjuster while breaking loose the outer nut. Be careful if the center adjuster moves you have lost your starting point. If this happens tighten the center adjuster snug while holding the outer nut finger loose. Now loosen the center adjuster 2 full turns. Hold it and snug the lock nut. If this doesn’t meet your expectations you can go to 2 1/2 turns total. Still not good? It will be an internal rework which may be beyond your knowledge level. Bottom line don’t worry about it. It’s not going to hurt anything. Most race trans have some 2/3 overlap at light throttle.
Doug
I will try loosening a half turn as you say and see what happens. now this doesnt cause any issues like making the band wear out quicker or anything by adjusting this does it?

As stated its a timing problem. The clutches are locking before the band releases. If the band was releasing before the clutches lock you would have a flare or slip

The advice about loosening up the band is the correct way to start. Hope it works.

I’ve been building Torqueflights for over 30 years. Never seen an issue caused by minor overlap. Wrong throttle pressure linkage adjustment/geometry will kill a band and is far more common.
Doug

Nothing has been done lately, always been like this, just kinda bugs me but no big deal. Tell me this, what does it take to install a manual or reverse manual valve body? Is it something a trans guy only can do or something the average back yard hot rodder can do? Also, this would eliminate the kickdown linkage correct?

Last edited:
I have a built trans in my 63 with a reverse valve body, and at light throttle I get the overlap. Like Doug mentioned, it won't hurt the trans.

I have a built trans in my 63 with a reverse valve body, and at light throttle I get the overlap. Like Doug mentioned, it won't hurt the trans.
Im glad to hear that it wont hurt anything. That was my first concern, but it does bug me..lol.. seems like it would be hard on the u-joints though a little?

Im glad to hear that it wont hurt anything. That was my first concern, but it does bug me..lol.. seems like it would be hard on the u-joints though a little?
I would hope that you, like myself, have a driveshaft setup to handle the power coming off your crankshaft. Look at Doug's avatar, he has been pulling the front wheels off the ground in a B body since before I could walk. I trust everything he says when it comes to performance Mopars.

I would hope that you, like myself, have a driveshaft setup to handle the power coming off your crankshaft. Look at Doug's avatar, he has been pulling the front wheels off the ground in a B body since before I could walk. I trust everything he says when it comes to performance Mopars.
Haha, i only wish i could pull the front end off the ground in mine!! Just a dream for me! Mine is only around 450 Horse. Hoping to eventually make more power.

Nothing has been done lately, always been like this, just kinda bugs me but no big deal. Tell me this, what does it take to install a manual or reverse manual valve body? Is it something a trans guy only can do or something the average back yard hot rodder can do? Also, this would eliminate the kickdown linkage correct?
Not hard but it wont help. Manual valve body’s overlap at low speed as well. Think about it. At WOT under max power you don’t want the 2/3 shift to flare (slip). The time to complete the shift at high rpm needs to be quicker. If the timing is ok at low speed it may be lazy at high rpm/load.
Doug

Not hard but it wont help. Manual valve body’s overlap at low speed as well. Think about it. At WOT under max power you don’t want the 2/3 shift to flare (slip). The time to complete the shift at high rpm needs to be quicker. If the timing is ok at low speed it may be lazy at high rpm/load.
Doug
No not for that, i just thought about installing a manual VB and getting a floor shifter..not sure yet though just thinking. Im not worried about that 2-3 shift now that youve said its ok and wont hurt anything, not a big deal just didnt want it to ruin the trans.

Does it have a Trans Go shift kit in it? If it does check to see what ratio number is on the front lever. They have 2.9, 3.2, 3.8, 4.2 and 5.0. Each ratio has a little bit different setting on the front band. Check the rear band when u have the pan off also. Kim

Does it have a Trans Go shift kit in it? If it does check to see what ratio number is on the front lever. They have 2.9, 3.2, 3.8, 4.2 and 5.0. Each ratio has a little bit different setting on the front band. Check the rear band when u have the pan off also. Kim
Kim he joined in Jan 21 and was gone by Feb 21.

Auto Transport Service
Back