• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 column shift linkage

levicah

Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
So far, so good on the trans rebuild. Can anybody recommend a good column shift linkage kit?

The previous owner modified the lower brackets to get above the header collectors, and I cant figure out exactly what they did.

Ididit makes a "cable" conversion kit to replace the linkage, anybody have experience with cable conversions or work arounds? I've got the "throttle kick down" converted to cable already. It's nearly impossible to get a smooth shift with the headers in the way of the torque shaft and chassi brackets. This photo is close to mine but the torque shaft has a slight "U" shape to allow for factory exhaust. Any insight to getting a good column shift would be appreciated.
Thanks guys
Shift Shaft.jpg

What year are you working with?

Years ago I ran 2-1/8” Hookers and had no problems in a ‘68. No bending,relocation needed.

Years ago I ran 2-1/8” Hookers and had no problems in a ‘68. No bending,relocation needed.

What are these "hookers" you speak of? and who carries them? I have not ran into them in my searching Thanks for responding!

What are these "hookers" you speak of? and who carries them? I have not ran into them in my searching Thanks for responding!
Hooker headers, mine was a BB though.

Hooker headers, mine was a BB though.

It just dawned on me, what you were talking about... yeah , no, I'll have custom brackets made for stock linkage before ripping the headers out...I just need a respectable way to column shift a automatic transmission. the previous owner did a hack job on the shift linkage because of nice, but ill placed collectors.

I have an original stock set. PM sent

I would have to make custom brackets, which might be the right way to go, still waiting to hear back from Ididit co. for a cable kit. Thank you! I bookmarked your page, if thats the way I end up going.

Did this ever get resolved? I am having a similar issue of the transmission linkage hitting the exhaust downtube. I have the same "u" torqueshaft.
I tried unbolting the donut and moving the down tube up a little but no luck. I am running factory manifolds but it was a custom made downtube the previous owner fabbed up.
Also where is it suppose to bolt to the transmission?? I cant see any obvious place for the bracket? the bracket on there now is a hackjob.

Thanks

Sorry no reply...I've been off for a while. The trick was this: the mounting bracket that houses the u torque shaft on the transmission side had to be "bent into a proper "Z" from it's straight 90 degree offset...making the bracket shorter, if this makes sense. If you are still working on it, I will post a picture or at least a diagram. By bending the bracket at the 2 hole tabs, it changes the height of the u torque shaft so that it clears the exhaust. Mine was hitting the collector area at the end off the header. being custom, botched, headers, I'm not sure my work around will work for yours. Let me know.if any of this applies.

Hey thanks for the reply! Could you post pics of both the frame bracket and trans bracket side?

Yes, I'll get my son to crawl under...this forum refuses to send alerts to my email, so that is why my responses aren't very punctual. It will take a day or two, as the brackets are on the car and it's been pouring down rain...

Yes, I'll get my son to crawl under...this forum refuses to send alerts to my email, so that is why my responses aren't very punctual. It will take a day or two, as the brackets are on the car and it's been pouring down rain...
Don't know why you're not getting email alerts from here. Did you click on the 'watch thread' button that's just below the 'Print' button that's above right? If you're using a phone to surf with, I have no idea how to make that work lol

Hey thanks for the reply! Could you post pics of both the frame bracket and trans bracket side?
Ok. yeah. no room for pictures under the car. both brackets can be rotated up or down somewhat. Here is my mad scientist explanation diagram. The trans is a torqueflite. The bolt hole is "inline" with the torque shaft give or take a inch, or faces the frame bracket...if that makes sense. I have no doubt the trans bracket is not original and it surely does not look like the manual picture. The frame bracket is contoured to the frame, but can go in a few ways including backwards. Your goal is to raise or lower the torque shaft just enough to clear a custom exhaust, without altering the frame bracket. If I had access to a machine shop I would have fabbed up 2 new brackets in less than an hour...it would be super easy. Instead, I bent the trans bracket into a "Z" which I could rotate to get the best alignment for the torque shaft. Hope all this madness
trans shift09182019.jpg
will help!

Don't know why you're not getting email alerts from here. Did you click on the 'watch thread' button that's just below the 'Print' button that's above right? If you're using a phone to surf with, I have no idea how to make that work lol
Yeah, it's been this way for at least a year. I'm on computer and yes I've pushed that little button, cleared cookies etc. It's beyond me. Something is glitched...probably need to start a new account or something.

Come to think of it, I'm only getting alerts from the PM system and nothing else....

well, I turned the e mail notification off, logged out, logged back in and turned it back on...I instantly got the B bodies newsletter, but still no email alert for your latest response...ha ha...sure we went to the moon in 1969. jk

Auto Transport Service
Back