• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Hard Upshifting

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
Had my push button 727 rebuilt a couple months back. After copious amounts of money the car came back to me with the throttle lever seal leaking, parking brake housing leaking and quite hard up shifting.…. It shifts into gear with a clunk and both 1-2 and 2-3 are hard. Is this just kick down adjustment or something else?

Had my push button 727 rebuilt a couple months back. After copious amounts of money the car came back to me with the throttle lever seal leaking, parking brake housing leaking and quite hard up shifting.…. It shifts into gear with a clunk and both 1-2 and 2-3 are hard. Is this just kick down adjustment or something else?
Could be. Are the shift points at the right speeds?

Did you have a shift kit installed such as the TF-2?

All stock that I know of. I specifically told him to keep it stock.

maybe too much throttle pressure. try backing it down. i have a tf2 in my cable trans and can't say anything good about it. had to do some throttle pressure back off with it.

I installed a shift kit in my 63 some years ago and was a bit harder shift btw 1st and 2nd. As posted, the throttle linkage may need adjusting. Check how it's set, engine off, pull the throttle wide open and look down at the kick down lever at the VB, it should be near full back, maybe 1/4" or so before lever's full travel, not binding. Shift points are pretty much what they are on the early TF's, under 15 mph entering 2nd and into 3rd before 25 mph, unless flooring it. No 'on-demand' unless flooring it. If I want higher shifting I press the buttons for manual shifting.

maybe too much throttle pressure. try backing it down. i have a tf2 in my cable trans and can't say anything good about it. had to do some throttle pressure back off with it.
Thats why I asked him about the shift points. To quick or delayed means an adjustment is needed. He did not respond.

Yes, it does seem to Upshift quickly under normal acceleration, although I’ve always assumed that was typical of these early models. It shifted about as fast before the rebuild too, just not as hard.

Yes, it does seem to Upshift quickly under normal acceleration, although I’ve always assumed that was typical of these early models. It shifted about as fast before the rebuild too, just not as hard.
Just try adjusting the rod and see how it reacts. Count the turns and you can always go back to where it was.

I’ll give it a try. First I am going to have someone mash the peddle while I’m under it to see what the lever is doing.

Auto Transport Service
Back