• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Low reverse band Pivot pin questions

rustytoolss

Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1962 push button 727. I think that my transmission is leaking from the low reverse band pivot pin "O" ring seal. I've seen early 727 have a single "O" ring..and that later 727 pivot shafts have two "O" ring seals. Here are my questions..First can I install a pivot shaft that has the 2 "O" rings in my early 727 (will it fit and work) ? Second question ..Does anyone know what year they started using the 2 "O" ring pivot shafts were used in production . I have a core 727..I think it is a 1969 or 1970 (don't want to take it apart if it would not be of the 2 "O" ring type.

All of the TFs I have rebuilt in the last 50+ years use the same pivot shaft (not counting the extra groove). I always use one o-ring per shaft regardless of groove count and have never had one leak. Rubber just gets hard with age, unlike old guys!
Mike

All of the TFs I have rebuilt in the last 50+ years use the same pivot shaft (not counting the extra groove). I always use one o-ring per shaft regardless of groove count and have never had one leak. Rubber just gets hard with age, unlike old guys!
Mike
Can this seal be replaced without pulling the trans ?

You have to pull the tailshaft, drop the pan and remove the valve body.

The few I have rebuilt I have used the o ring and sealant. None are leaking .

Would you mind posting the numbers and any letters, stamped on the driver's side of the trans, just above the oil pan? I have a thing for transmission numbers, and 62s are not common. Thanks.

I just had to rotate the tail shaft housing slightly for the pin to clear the tab

Why remove the tail shaft housing ?

Last edited:
I cut one off and just dropped the pan and VB. I fabbed a little tab to replace the casting.
Mike

Would you mind posting the numbers and any letters, stamped on the driver's side of the trans, just above the oil pan? I have a thing for transmission numbers, and 62s are not common. Thanks.
I had not forgotten about you. Just have not been able to check out those numbers. My exhaust makes it tough to see the numbers, But what I see is 000 162215122 can not tell if there are anymore numbers. Let me know what you find out about the trans. I can not say for sure if the trans is orgnial to the car. 1962 Plymouth Fury station wagon 318 poly , power steering, manual brakes

Auto Transport Service
Back