• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Transmission 69 GTX Shift Kit

Hammer136

Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I'm looking to install a shift kit in my 69 GTX with 727 transmission. Does anyone have info on the AA Transmission Valve Body out of Indiana? Or should I go with the Transgo TF-2? Most driving is cruising but also would like to have better response. 440 with 355 gear. Any Suggestions.?

If you have your valve body out, try to replace it with '71 and up piece with Part Throttle Kick-down. You will not miss mashing the gas pedal to the floor to catch a lower gear. If you disassemble to add your own shift kit, do NOT mix up the various valves and springs. I have dealt with A&A for parts for my rebuilds. They are good guys and helpful bunch.

Dave6T4 is spot on with the PTKD. It added to my 68 but it was not the original trans. Maybe a convertor change is in the cards too.

Rick Allison owner of A&A transmissions is very knowledgeable. He built his own dyno to test valve bodies. I've got lots of good advice and transmission parts and full transmissions from him. ruffcut

Dave6T4 is spot on with the PTKD. It added to my 68 but it was not the original trans. Maybe a convertor change is in the cards too.
Have new convertor after motor rebuild. Thanks

First thing first, make 100% sure your valve body is not already equipped with any kind of shift kit!
Mix matching those kits is not going to end well.

Transgo TF-2 kit is a good one and their tech team is very supportive when you need some help.

First thing first, make 100% sure your valve body is not already equipped with any kind of shift kit!
Mix matching those kits is not going to end well.

Transgo TF-2 kit is a good one and their tech team is very supportive when you need some help.
The big tip-off here would be that it is missing one of the balls and there is a channel wall milled down.

The big tip-off here would be that it is missing one of the balls and there is a channel wall milled down.

And get a picture of the original sandwich plate for your year and compare it with the one installed.
Check the casting numbers of the lower and upper valve body halves and check what year they are from, might not be a '69 as your car is.
My car is a '69 too but the valve body turned out to be a '65-1/2 production period, plus a B&M kit installed and on top of that i put a Transgo kit against it....pfff...

A and A used to sell a PTKD that fit the earlier valve bodies. Either kit would be fine. Never heard of issues with either. Might look into what upshift governor you have. A and A sells those too. Easy change and be a major upgrade if you have a lo po factory trans.

Before you start fingering the governor, connect a gauge to the appropriate port and map the pressure it gives.
Pressure in psi should start as soon as you start driving and increase together with the speed.
Pressure reading in psi should be near the road speed in mph. If it does that, don’t change anything just yet. Altering shift point might not even be needed, but could be changed with changing springs on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valves to advance or delay shift points.
Throwing in a 5800 governor means nothing if you do not know the trans and valve body are working as intended pressure wise.

I think im gonna go with the Transgo TF-2 trans kit. I was wondering does it have a hard shift that's noticeable or not. Anyone?

Before you start fingering the governor, connect a gauge to the appropriate port and map the pressure it gives.
Pressure in psi should start as soon as you start driving and increase together with the speed.
Pressure reading in psi should be near the road speed in mph. If it does that, don’t change anything just yet. Altering shift point might not even be needed, but could be changed with changing springs on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valves to advance or delay shift points.
Throwing in a 5800 governor means nothing if you do not know the trans and valve body are working as intended pressure wise.
Does the Transgo TF-2 have a hard shift. How would you recommend the setup?

Transgo TF-2 is a pretty good kit. Follow the directions as they offer some options for harder or softer shifts. It's pretty easy to do. What I also did was install billet servos and beefed up band actuator because of the higher line pressures. I would also leave the governor alone.

I was lucky enough to have a ph conversation with Gil Younger, owner & founder of TG [ now sadly deceased ].

He grumbled to me that he designed the kits, did all the R&D, & other companies copied them.
He was 100% correct. I bought a TCI overhaul kit for a 727 which included 'their' shift kit.
As I read the kit instructions, I realised I had seen these before....
TCI copied the TG kit & changed the odd word here & there to make it look different....

Auto Transport Service
Back