• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7290 U-Joint Straps

YellowDodge67

Local time
10:36 PM
Reaction score
Picked up a 489 rear with the large 7290 yoke but it is missing the straps to hold the U- joint in place. Tried the Moog 492-10 kit but the spacing between the bolt holes was too wide on the Moog straps and had 5/16 bolts when I believe the yoke has 1/4 bolts.

Anyone know of a kit that fits and what thread pitch the 4 bolts on the yoke should be. Thought it was 1/4-28 but tried to test with a bolt from the hardware store and won't screw in more than a thread or two. The threads are a little rusty, may try to clean up with a chaser but want to confirm the thread pitch before I wreak havoc.

Yeah, I couldn't easily thread mine in until I chased them to clean them up..1/4-28

Chased the threads and they cleaned up great. Ended up using the smaller Moog 318-10 kit. Fit pretty well on the 7290 joint with a small gap between the strap and the yoke, added a washer to make full contact while remaining tight.

20171121_185150.jpg 20171121_185338.jpg 20171121_185159.jpg

Those bolts are going to loosen up or bend where go into yoke and maybe break,IMO. $18 + shipping for the right ones at Mancini as lewtot said.

Didn't see washers but I wouldn't do that.
Last night didn't reread had to edit to add n't.

Last edited:
That would not work for me, get the correct straps.

Those look like 7260 straps

Pay the money, take the time to get the correct straps. Using those washers under the straps is asking for trouble. My thoughts.

Put everything together over the weekend. The strap makes contact on both sides when torqued to factory spec WITHOUT the washers. So I'll put a few miles on it then go back under there to inspect and check the torque and make sure everything looks okay. The car is about to go down for the winter anyway, I needed to get something together to get it on the road to get a few bugs worked out before it gets put away.

Put everything together over the weekend. The strap makes contact on both sides when torqued to factory spec WITHOUT the washers. So I'll put a few miles on it then go back under there to inspect and check the torque and make sure everything looks okay. The car is about to go down for the winter anyway, I needed to get something together to get it on the road to get a few bugs worked out before it gets put away.

When you tighten them down like the stress IMO reduces their strength. The heads are being bent to the outside of strap, not good.

Auto Transport Service
Back